[3830] NA Sprint CW VE9AA HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] NA Sprint CW VE9AA HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 02 Feb 2014 04:12:25 +0000
                    NA Sprint CW Contest - February

Call: VE9AA
Operator(s): VE9AA
Station: VE9AA

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: mar
Operating Time (hrs): 3.99

   80:   71    1.33
   40:   83    1.33
   20:   79    1.33
---------------------

Club: Maritime Contest Club

Team: Team Canada #1

Comments:

My first time breaking 200 Q's and also 10k pts in this one.  I usually do LP
and never the full 4hrs.  I got interrupted (local in-shack QRM) a couple times
while sending so miffed a few exchanged, but corrected on the fly.  Had to
change my N1MM from ESM to manual and go back to whacking individual keys with
new-to-me macros so it was a steep learning curve early on. Oh boy !

Hard going with 500w and a vertical (less goo on 40m) but I prevailed and had a
good time.

Had wicked RFI suddenly on 40m after the 2nd or 3rd QSO, so had to ramp back
power on that band to 200w...it was moving my TAB key all over the screen and
inserting random characters in fields I didn't want.  Almost like a 2nd Ghost
op....does that put me in M/S ? (heh)

......80m was the full 500w, but an HF9V on 80m is nearly a dummy load. I am
surprised the west coast could hear me.  I did hear fellow team-mate VE4EA on
80m a Cpl times but could never make a Q.

20m was my only band I felt at all even barely loud on, but it's 8pm local
when the contest starts, so 20m is real good for about 30mins, then it's
sliding straight downhill from there.  Still, I checked it from time to time
and found a few SO2R guys, or lost souls who checked 20m also, and worked some
really late here.

A lot of fun being asked to join Team Canada #1 !!  Go fellow frozen buddies
!!!

Mike VE9AA IC7410 ~500w + HF9V.......N1MM