[3830] RTTY WPX WE5DX M/S LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, jim@ad5ow.us
Subject: [3830] RTTY WPX WE5DX M/S LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2014 00:51:29 +0000
                    CQ WW RTTY WPX Contest

Call: WE5DX
Operator(s): AD5OW N5TIT KF5MEG
Station: WE5DX

Class: M/S LP
QTH: MS
Operating Time (hrs): 48

------------
   80:   76
   40:  230
   20:  199
   15:  161
   10:  152
------------

Club: East Mississippi Field Unit

Comments:

This was a great contest.  First time effort in the WPX RTTY contest and had a
blast.  We operated from Meridian, MS as a Mult-Single using the WE5DX call.
The station consisted of a Flex 3000 and a triband beam at 35ft.  For the low
bands we had a 80/40 meter wire vertical in to the trees.  Using the Flex 3000
in a contest setting was a bit of a power curve at first but the controls
became easier as the contest went along.  We did run in to a latency issue with
the decode side of the RTTY decoder.  In a casual setting one to one and a half
second latency on the RTTY decode can be tolerated.  In a contest setting it
causes too many issues with missed calls and duplicate transmissions being the
norm.  On Saturday morning we stopped using the VAC and wired a Signalink
together and instantly the decoding latency was gone.  This was a victory and
did result in better results while running and S&P.  The propagation on
40/80 meters was pretty good from here in Mississippi to Europe from just after
dusk till around midnight.  We did do better this contest than CQ WW RTTY on 40
& 80 meters from a QSO perspective, however we need to about another 50Q's
on 80M and 100Q's on 40M to become more competitive.  On the high bands EU was
great on Saturday morning with easy runs in to EU and western AS, however with
a higher A index on Sunday the path to EU was not as fruitful and had to
S&P more than we wanted to do.  Our runs were somewhat successful on the
lower bands domestically, however was never able to get our rated very high.
We are working on getting 400 to 500W for 2014 CQ WW RTTY, that should help
some with that.  Thanks to the W1AW/KH6 team in Hawaii, as they were the only
station we worked on all the bands, GREAT JOB!!!!  Thanks also to all the
stations that was able to dig us out of the noise also.