[3830] RTTY WPX DM1A(DL1IAO) SOSB10 HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] RTTY WPX DM1A(DL1IAO) SOSB10 HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 11 Feb 2014 01:07:43 +0000
                    CQ WW RTTY WPX Contest

Call: DM1A
Operator(s): DL1IAO
Station: DL0WW

Class: SOSB10 HP
QTH: JN49FO
Operating Time (hrs): 21.5

------------
   80:
   40:
   20:
   15:
   10:  720
------------

Club: Bavarian Contest Club

Comments:

IC756Pro3(INRAD) + Alpha87A

WT v3.27.1 / MMTTY on HP Omnibook XE3
HAL DXP38 in receive only on another Omnibook
Packet, Skimmer

6el Yagi @24m

The days before the contest I injured my right hand, and as a real SO2R
participation was out of question I opted for single band. 10m seemed like the
place to be with all those sunspots, but it turned out to be a challenging
weekend, at least in central EU. With normal morning propagation 1000 QSOs
should have been possible but it turned out to be a fight for every single
QSO.

Although I noticed 15m to open well before sunrise it took very long until I
was able to log my first QSO on 10m at 06:48Z. I found the CONDX to be very
poor in the morning with almost all signals coming in through scatter peaking
southeast. After 2 hours in the contest with only 40 QSOs I thought about
deviating from my 10m plans and taking it easy for the rest of the weekend. But
then one of the DL0WW fellows walked in and we chatted while I continued at a
very low rate. When he left at 12:00Z I had only 100 QSOs but his visit helped
me to somehow bypass the boring morning hours.

Then somebody threw the switch and the band returned with a slow but steady
flow of NA signals. The log shows my last NA QSO at 18:48Z but I worked SA
until 20:15Z. I finished the first day with a mere 414 QSOs, way behind my
plans. By then I had noticed DL3BQA and DL2SAX to be on 10m, either. While
Skimmer spots showed a signal advantage for them it seemed that our QSO numbers
were almost identical. This little competition was reason enough to keep going
although it seemed questionable to spend another low-rate day on RTTY.

The second morning was almost a repeat of Saturday, but even slower. Most
signals were still coming over scatter and I worked 2 whisper-weak JAs with the
6el beaming to 120deg. Although I tried numerous times my only long path QSO
remained JH6WHN who called in at 11:29Z. At 12:00Z my log showed 486 QSOs.

The NA opening started pretty decent again with even a few west coast stations
calling in later and the 15Z hour was the most productive one with 65 QSOs. I
worked the last US at 18:24Z but found a few more SA stations until 19:46Z when
the band closed completely.

I used the realtime scoreboard again this time but felt quite lonely there
together with IT9RGY. Congrats to DL3BQA and DL2SAX for sticking it out on 10m
as well!

73,

Stefan
DL1IAO@contesting.com