[3830] ARRLDX CW NX6T(N0DY) SOSB/40 HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, n0dyjeff@hotmail.com
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX CW NX6T(N0DY) SOSB/40 HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 16 Feb 2014 22:39:25 +0000
                    ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: NX6T
Operator(s): N0DY
Station: NX6T

Class: SOSB/40 HP
QTH: Fallbrook, CA
Operating Time (hrs): 24

  160:
   80:
   40:  927    93
   20:
   15:
   10:
-------------------
Total:  927    93  Total Score = 253,890

Club: San Diego Contest Club

Comments:

QSO total includes 17 0 point QSOs from W/VE stations.

NX6T was the site of one of the W1AW/6 Centennial Event operations, and for the
contest, we were allocated only one band, 15 meters, to play on as the
"official" W1AW/6 contest entry. Having two operating positions
available, and not wanting to let a good contest opportunity go by, I decided
to enter NX6T for a 40M SOSB.

When 15M was dead, we filled in that operator station with non-contest W1AW/6
operations, mostly on 80 meters. This turned out to be not so great an idea. We
experienced some interstation interference, either from me being distracted by
hearing the SSB op in the same room or from the other station's transmit noise
floor as the 80 meter antenna and 40M beam were on the same tower. That's my
excuse, anyway!

Other than that, Mr. Murphy must have been visiting other stations, because the
equipment worked flawlessly the entire contest.

After a very fun Friday night, I started up again Saturday afternoon expecting
more of the same. What a difference a day makes! I could only hear the loudest
European stations. Even then, when they were transmitting at high speed, the
auroral flutter made copy extremely difficult. It sometimes took quite a while
to discover that, of course, I'd already worked them. After 5 hours of
S&Ping all I could, and CQing fruitlessly, I decided to take a nap, hoping
to be at least a little bit sharper when the JA opening occurred, which from
here avoids much of the auroral oval.

That worked, and the rest of the contest was great fun with only minor sleep
deprivation symptoms!

Many thanks to Dennis, N6KI, for the use of the station, and to both him and
John, WA2OOB, for help with station prep for both the contest and W1AW/6
event.

K3
ACOM 2000
2 element 40 @ 70'