[3830] ARRLDX CW K5KG SO Unlimited HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, georgek5kg@aol.com, fcg@kkn.net
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX CW K5KG SO Unlimited HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 17 Feb 2014 18:52:10 +0000
                    ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: K5KG
Operator(s): K5K
Station: K5KG

Class: SO Unlimited HP
QTH: FL
Operating Time (hrs): 37.5

  160:   36    28
   80:  150    61
   40:  313    81
   20:  665    99
   15:  594   106
   10:  663   101
-------------------
Total: 2421   476  Total Score = 3,452,904

Club: Florida Contest Group

Comments:

Condx were excellent, especially for the first half of the contest.  On the
first night, there was little or now QRN on the low bands, and the high bands
remained open late into the night.  On the second night, QRN was high, which
made the low bands more difficult to work.

The statiion was a K3 + the KPA500 amp and KAT Tuner.  My high power amp is on
the fritz, so I was limited to the 500 watt amp.  Logged with WinTest.  The
Elecraft K-Line is fully integrated, so band changing is instantenous.  The
instantaneous band changing, along with the WinTest band map displaying
"mults only" made finding needed mults on any band very easy.

Close in stations such as C6, ZF, CO, YN, YS, and XE were difficult to work. At
times, I could hear and work them, but must of the time, they were too close in
to be copyable   I find this to be true in general from my SW FL QTH.  The
exceptions this weekend, were TI5W and V26M that were loud most of the time.
Also, PJ4X and PJ2T were smashing loud most of the time.

Antennas were C31, 7el 10m yagi, SteppIR Big Vertical on 40m, 80m Lnv Vee, and
160m Inv L.  Like my big amp is on the fritz, so is my 40m yagi, so I was
limted to using the SteppIR Big Vert on 40m; it performed extremely well.  Some
time during the contest, I disccovered that my 10m yagi went dead.  A quick trip
outsied revealed that the ring rotor had rotated past its stop, and ripped the
coax loose. I did not attempt to fix it since the C31 covers 10m.  For
receiving, I use a Pixel mag loop, and it did a wonderful job.  I would not
have had many of the low band contacts without it.  I even used it on 40m the
second night to cut thru the QRN.

73, George, K5KG