[3830] ARRLDX CW VY2ZM SOSB/10 HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX CW VY2ZM SOSB/10 HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 17 Feb 2014 22:37:46 +0000
                    ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: VY2ZM
Operator(s): VY2ZM
Station: VY2ZM

Class: SOSB/10 HP
QTH: PEI
Operating Time (hrs): 36

  160: *302*  * 63*
   80:     0      0
   40:     0      0
   20:     0      0
   15:     0      0
   10:  1708    112
--------------------
Total:  2010    175  Total Score = 1,055,250

Club: Maritime Contest Club

Comments:

This unusual posting is actually two SINGLE BAND ENTRIES as follows:

160m  302/63 = 57,078 points (Roughly 15 hours of on air time.)

10m  1708/112 = 573,888 points (Roughly 28 hours of on air time.)

Under ARRL rules, only (1) SINGLE BAND ENTRY may be submitted by an individual
station - thus my submission is as indicated above - it is for MONO 10M only.

The 160m single band score is being submitted as a ***CHECK LOG ONLY***- and
not for legitimate scoring/competitive purposes in the contest.

Background:

A serious of weather-related disasters kept me scrambling out at the house most
of Wed night and all day Friday. By 3PM Friday (after battling a motor failure
in my oil burner, and a major flood in my basement from melting snow in a lake
outside my shack window, and soot particulate backing up into the basement when
the oil burner flue would not draught properly - I was totally spent.  I tried
to sleep but could not and was in no position to even contemplate a 46/47 hour
SOAB/SO2R all band entry given how I felt - just no way Jose!

I almost bagged the whole contest as I was worse than dead tired at 0000z!

I started out on 160m and was doing poorly (although W4ZV stopped by to report
he had made 34 qso's in 3 hours and was quitting.  (I had about 100 Q's by then
and quit early myself at 0705z that night with something like 195 in the log.  I
decided I would switch over to 10m and begin a single band entry there at
sunrise.)

10m was a far better move - condx were good although I knew I had missed all of
Friday night in the process and was sure under good condx that others had done
pretty well there for an hour or so.

The rest is pretty much as reported by others - Sat was excellent with over
1100 qso's logged the first day.  Sunday was not as good but not horrible
either.

Each day at 1930z I worked SO2R on 160m to add to the 160M score.  Saturday
night AFTER 0000Z was almost a TOTAL washout on 160m - I did manage about 20
qso's but quit very early in favor of sleep for the Sunday 10M EU runs.  Each
160m qso was agony with the snow static and hurricane force winds.  I could
hear 9A1A, TM6M and some of the louder stations - but all answers to my CQ's
were a total embarrassment as compared to my normal ability to hear weak
signals.  Stations on the other side probably wondered who the ALLIGATOR OPR
was - but it was beyond noisey.  The S meter just hung AT 20DB over S9 - with
crashes that pinned the meter most of the time.

So rather than continue to look like a JERK, I just turned the radio off and
bailed on Topband leaving it to W3LPL and K3LR to keep the faithful
interested.

Although the 160m single band score ended up as a reasonable effort - pls note
again that it is only a checklog - so W8UVZ/W8TOP - if you are reading this
posting - George (or anyone else), please be sure to send in your Mono 160m log
as you may have made the top score.

73 and thanks to all for the qso's.

CU in two weeks on SSB mode

73 JEFF  VY2ZM