[3830] ARRLDX CW PI4TUE M/S HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, pc5a@amsat.org
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX CW PI4TUE M/S HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Wed, 19 Feb 2014 23:14:29 +0000
                    ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: PI4TUE
Operator(s): ON9CC PA0SHY PA3FGA PA3GFE PA5MW PC5A PD5AX PE2HD
Station: PI4TUE

Class: M/S HP
QTH:
Operating Time (hrs): 48

  160:   19    16
   80:  241    38
   40:  487    57
   20:  907    58
   15:  807    58
   10:  684    58
-------------------
Total: 3145   285  Total Score = 2,688,975

Club:

Comments:

2x Orion (interlocked by DL5SE-design slightly modified + 2x 6-band 5B4AGN TXBPF
+ 1xPA)
28OWA6
3 EL SteppIR
40M dipole
80M hor loop
160M vertical sloping down
(all antenna's at about 65M / 213FT) above ground level

Highlights in random order
- Another 48 hours of pure FUN!!!
- Working with 2 transceivers in and out of band for the very first time by
using an interlock design by DL5SE slightly modified and home made high power
filters.
- Getting a 6 EL 10M yagi (28OWA6 by EAntenna) in the VHF mast on our roof
which is cramped with obstacles.
- Getting the 50kg 40MDY3 (3 EL 40M yagi by EAntenna) up into the portable
tower at about 4M above the roof; see also low lights.
- 70M beverage by Mark that gave us those needed mults on the low bands despite
the poor propagation.
- Pre-contest dinner at our favorite Italian restaurant.
- Traditional Baklava.
- Clean sweep of US states on 15M thanks to Rens' 6 minute 'contest-QSO' with
Jim-K0VWL in ND at 12WPM... ;-)
- Passion and dedication of our ARRL core-team (Rens, Claudia, Mark and
Aurelio) who spend hours of preparation.
- Many espresso's and cappuccino's freshly prepared by our barista Rens on his
good old Gaggia.
- Competing with OL3Z and OP4K through on-line live score reporting.
- 10M being open both days.
- Exchanging "long rogers" with Dale-N3BNA (IG9Y anecdote).
- Great runs on 20M especially the last hours.
- Last but not least none of the equipment failed on us.

Low lights in random order
- (Very) poor propagation on top band both nights.
- Not being able to use the new 40M Yagi because we could not get it tuned in
time properly. Although the antenna sits literately at the edge of the flat
roof which is about 65M above ground level, it still sees the roof top which is
too close to give reasonable tuning. The radiation pattern should be fine
according to simulations. We will try to bring it up to 12-15M by adding more
tower sections before ARRL SSB so we can at least see how it performs once
before we have to take it down again.
- Not breaking our 2013 all-time record of 3272 QSO's and 2.8M score although
we came close with 3145 and 2.7M (all claimed)

The chances are very slim that PI4TUE will be in ARRL-CW next year since we
need to empty the shack and roof by the end of this year. The University who
now still owns the building will sell it to a real estate company who will
remodel the entire building into a student dorm... There is no room for the
station at the new location that is being build. So we focus on one last great
ARRL SSB weekend in less than two weeks after being on the air since 1991.

... It was fun ...

On behalf of ESRAC Contest Team
-- Aurelio, PC5A