[3830] ARRLDX SSB N1CC SOAB LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, jimlaporta@jlaporta.com
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX SSB N1CC SOAB LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 03 Mar 2014 01:11:35 +0000
                    ARRL DX Contest, SSB

Call: N1CC
Operator(s): N1CC
Station: N1CC

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: North Texas
Operating Time (hrs): 24

  160:    1     1
   80:   15    13
   40:   60    37
   20:  181    70
   15:  236    66
   10:  507    77
-------------------
Total: 1000   263  Total Score = 789,000

Club: North Texas Contest Club

Comments:

FT-990, 100W to Force 12 C3 at 64 feet.  80/40 Fan Dipole at 50 feet.  160M
Inverted L 50 feet vertical 78 feet horizontal with 2x135 foot elevated
radials.  Used MFJ 1026 as noise canceller with DX Engineering 43 foot vertical
as the noise antenna.

Knew ahead of time that Sunday would have bad weather, so spent 20 hours on
Saturday to make the first 839 contacts.  Storming in morning so got on as soon
as they were not overhead... then at 1500 local lost AC power, not restored
until 1730 ... leaving only 30 minutes more to get to 1,000 contacts.  Total
time 24 hours operation.

This is my best ARRL DX SSB score in Texas, and is more than double the score
ever attained before here. Previous SSB has been assisted, so did not do
assisted to see how things would play if I did this the "old" way ...
was lots of fun, not a smooth as CW was since 100W of SSB is less able to cope
with the huge plethora of splatter, byproducts, noise generators used by so
many - overdriving the radios and not able to hear when the DX starts to talk
to another station .. still calling, calling, etc.

There were MANY DX stations that did not follow the new guidelines for
identification, and after six minutes waiting for a call sign one KL7 told me I
wasn't listening when I asked "call sign please"  ... after berating
me he worked four more stations before he finally identified.  So 7-minutes
wasted to find out I had already worked the station and moved on... such it is
that we really do need to "knock the knees" of those stations that do
not follow the new ID every 3rd QSO rule.

Overall good conditions and lots of good operators.  Rates did not approach CW,
however did have 3 hours of 80+ sustained rate - running above 28.8 MHz -- was
amazed to find that the big guns have now moved up to the high ends on 15 and
10 ... could not verify but think at least two of the MM/MS east coasters were
calling CQ at the low end and the high end of the band simultaneously ...come
on guys!

73, Jim