[3830] ARRLDX SSB K2ZR/4 SOAB LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k2zr@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX SSB K2ZR/4 SOAB LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 03 Mar 2014 13:08:40 +0000
                    ARRL DX Contest, SSB

Call: K2ZR/4
Operator(s): K2ZR
Station: K2ZR

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: Key West
Operating Time (hrs): 10.0

  160:    0     0
   80:    0     0
   40:   43    25
   20:   35    26
   15:   57    33
   10:   73    33
-------------------
Total:  208   117  Total Score = 73,008

Club: Niagara Frontier Radiosport

Comments:

Rig: K2 @ 75W   Ant: 40M Windom    Log: N1MM

Friday night I a 40M audio issue. P40L noted I had a badly distorted SSB signal
which almost impossible to understand. I had been on 15 & 20 and all was FB.
Saturday morning I found a loud signal on 40 from W4COT on a near dead band.
Bob, not in the contest took a few minutes to listen to my tests running only
10W. Both of us agreed it was RF getting into the K2 via the mic. Clipped on a
ferrite, tested at different power levels and bingo, 40 SSB signal was now
clean. Thanks to P40L & W4COT for their patience and taking a bit of time
to help!

My first ARRL DX SSB in a very long time: I had fun but true love is CW.
Thanks for the Qs.
73,
Dick, K2ZR/4
Key West, IOTA NA-062