[3830] ARRLDX SSB WN2O(@N2GC) M/S HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, n2gc@aol.com
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX SSB WN2O(@N2GC) M/S HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 04 Mar 2014 16:41:54 +0000
                    ARRL DX Contest, SSB

Call: WN2O
Operator(s): N2GC KD2FIX
Station: N2GC

Class: M/S HP
QTH: NY
Operating Time (hrs): 27

  160:   14    13
   80:   43    37
   40:  100    59
   20:  217    84
   15:  341    87
   10:  556   106
-------------------
Total: 1271   386  Total Score = 1,471,818

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

IC756PROIII, AL-1200
3L Tribander @30' fixed EU
160 bent dipole @35'
80 Inv V @25"
40-10 Fan dipole @35' for NE/SW
20-10 Fan dipole @35' for N/S

This was our first MS from this station with I am sure many more to follow.  My
two boys 11 & 15 just passed their general class licenses and are working on
the extras now.  In this contest it was just me and my yougest son Leo
operating.  It was his first big DX contest and was supposed to be more of a
learning experience on how to use N1MM, change bands, tune the amp and
transmatches (all my antennas are cut for CW) without blowing anything up. At
first I showed him how to use the bandmap with a stern warning about verifying
the call and he had fun working guys off that.  I left the room for about an
hour.  When I came back I found him running guys.  I asked him how did you find
a clear frequency?  He said I used the band map and asked if the frequency was
in use. I almost fell off the chair.  After the contest I was checking rates
and he had a 120 hour!

The other thing that was comical at times is that he has no idea what prefixes
belong to which countries.  He hasn't even heard of most of the countries he
talked to this weekend. He was trying to pull a call out of the noise and he
kept saying "the pappa five station what is your call?" It was an
SP5.  He did that with a few rare prefixes that were not active.

He got a good geography lesson this weekend and got a kick out of the different
accents he heard. I think he liked the Russian accents the best.  I know I did
when I was 14 and listening to Willy UA9BA at UK9AAN running guys for hours on
end:}

Thanks for all the QSO's, patience when he asked for repeats and all the kind
words of encouragement I heard in the background.  Look for us again in WPX
using the call WN2O.

Proud dad still grinning!
73 Mike N2GC