[3830] ARRLDX SSB II9P M/M HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, fabio.grisafi@libero.it
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX SSB II9P M/M HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Thu, 06 Mar 2014 10:02:30 +0000
                    ARRL DX Contest, SSB

Call: II9P
Operator(s): HB9DUR I4UFH IK1HJS IT9AUG IT9BUN IT9CHU IT9CJC IT9EQO IT9GSF
IT9NJE IV3SDE IV3YYK
Station: II9P

Class: M/M HP
QTH: Sicily
Operating Time (hrs): 48

  160:  190    39
   80:  631    48
   40: 1132    56
   20: 2771    61
   15: 1360    61
   10: 1708    61
-------------------
Total: 7792   326  Total Score = 7,612,752

Club:

Comments:

Many thanks for the QSO to all american friends. All time EU M/M record not
reached for 50 QSOs (sigh!)... but our low bands antennas are performing very
well. Also, we are preparing a low cost 40 meters' monster that we hope will
work to reduce QRM from/to EU on that band. In fact, when we run USA pile-ups
we have a wall of EU strong signals coming from the same direction and with
good skip ... so signals are very strong. In other stations in north and
central EU this is not true as they beam the antenna to the ocean taking
advantage from the F/B and F/S of the antennas. We are preparing a long wire
Yagi or a Rhombic antenna for that band.... better and sharper pattern... we
will see.

We had a lot of fun after hard work during the last weeks spent to rebuild
antennas damaged by storms.

Special guests for this contest our old friends I4UFH (aka one of D4C) and
IK1HJS (aka as our best WRTC italian operator), HB9DUR with his very good
chocolate and strong operating skill, IV3SDE best top band companion.

Conditions were not good with a lot of absorbtion and propagation to USA
closing one hour before on 10 meters than previous week. No any good path
trough North Pole so working rocky mountains and west cost was always a
challenge with very low and noisy signals.

Also, a very strong thunderstorm disturbed us during saturday afternoon with
strong static noise on higher bands.

Despite bad conditions we worked many states/provinces on low bands thanks to
our good ears (IV3YYK on Top Band) and long Beverage antennas.

We are at 90% of antenna work and 60% of internal setup work. We have to make
some advanced operating gear inside the station and to reduce complexity.

Equipment used: six x Elecraft K3 and 590s. 5/5 Yagi on 10, 5/5 on 15, 4/4 on
20, 4 Sq on 40, 4 Sq on 80, Inv.L on 160 and hundredS and hundredS of radials.

As always many thanks to Carmelo, Antonello, Marcello and Vincenzo for their
hard work under rain and low temperatures.

QSL as always via IT9CHU. See you in the WPX Contest.... why you don't join us?
The destination airport can be Catania and Comiso (low cost), contact me or CHU
or Carmelo IT9AUG for informations.

73 de Fabio, IT9GSF.