[3830] BARTG AA5AU SOSB/10 HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, aa5au@bellsouth.net
Subject: [3830] BARTG AA5AU SOSB/10 HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2014 13:38:32 +0000
                    BARTG HF RTTY Contest

Call: AA5AU
Operator(s): AA5AU
Station: AA5AU

Class: SOSB/10 HP
QTH: LA
Operating Time (hrs): 18

   80:
   40:
   20:
   15:
   10:  455      65         24
-----------------------------------
Total:  455      65         24  Continents = 6  Total Score = 242,970

Club: Louisiana Contest Club

Comments:

I hadn't given this contest much thought beforehand. At the last minute I
decided to go single band 10 meters. I was on call at work so knew I probably
wouldn't be able to do a full effort.

The contest starts at 9 PM local time so ten meters was not open. The band
opened early Saturday morning just past sunrise at around 1230Z and was very
good into Europe for a couple hours when my phone rang and I was called into
work around 1500Z which is prime-time Europe for me. I didn't get back until
1830Z but the band was still open to Europe at 1900Z! After Europe went away it
got a little slow so I took a nap in case I got another call for work.

I had just sat down in the chair and to look for JA's in the afternoon when I
got called to work again to the same hospital but on a different problem. So I
missed the bulk of the JA opening Saturday but when I returned, the band was
still open to Asia 'til about 0130Z which is about an hour and half past
sunset.

The band opened early again Sunday morning, but unfortunately a line of
thunderstorms came barreling through just after sunrise so I had to shut down
for an hour. After that, Sunday's opening on ten was even better than Saturday
despite the SFI being only 140. It's funny that we've seen higher SFI numbers
lately but poorer conditions on ten than what we experienced this weekend. Once
the weather cleared, ten was fantastic Sunday and a lot of fun. I didn't get
called into work so I was able to spend the whole day at the radio. The runs
into Europe were great and in the afternoon, the runs into Japan were the best
I can remember despite it being Monday morning there.

I kept eyeing the USA record for 10 meters and I think I may have had a chance
had I not missed 5.5 hours of prime operating on Saturday and the hour for
weather on Sunday. It would have been close - maybe next year! I still think
it's a decent score for part-time.

The highlight of the weekend was snagging 4S7DFG on 10 CW and 4S7FRG on 12 CW
late Sunday morning for new band countries.

73, Don AA5AU

Icom IC-756 PRO III
Ameritron AL-80B amplifier 400 watts
3-element SteppIR @ 45'