[3830] Rus DX PI4TUE M/S HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, pc5a@amsat.org
Subject: [3830] Rus DX PI4TUE M/S HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2014 23:35:37 +0000
                    Russian DX Contest

Call: PI4TUE
Operator(s): PA5MW PC5A
Station: PI4TUE

Class: M/S HP
QTH:
Operating Time (hrs): 24

  160:   131    17       35        31
   80:   235     6       41        36
   40:   247    68       53        43
   20:   184    96       55        45
   15:   216    25       63        65
   10:    64    34       35        35
Total:  1077   246      280       255  Total Score = 4,160,160

Club: Bavarian Contest Club

Comments:

* BATTLE of the SEXES *

- Select a contest: Russian DX
- Select a station capable of M2: PI4TUE
- Select two crews: boys (2) and girls (6)
and you can have your own "battle of the sexes"...
(want to know who won? read on... )

During the past few months we doubled the number of transmitters from 1 to 2
which involved some  extensive shack work like interlocking and additional
(bandpass) filtering as well as placing all equipment in an ergonomic layout.
This enabled the use of 2 transceivers in-band or like M2 on different bands.
For ARRL CW+SSB we used the setup almost exclusively in-band. Short excursions

to other bands showed zero interference or RX blocking issues; the extensive
antenna coupling measurements a year ago and subsequent building extra (RX)
filters paid off!

But now back to the "battle of the sexes"... :-)
Since two years a group of enthusiast Dutch (X)YL op's began guest op'ing at
PI4TUE club station where they took part in several contests; SPDX, RDX, HADX.

This year they also wanted to continue their learning and fun curve in the RDX

contest. I already planned to enter this one my self and suggested to share the

station in a fun way: boys against girls. Of course the girls immediately
accepted.

So... at 12:00UTC the Girls took off (in their special stunning almost eye
hurting team-polo-shirts) on 10M with the 3 EL SteppIR. We (the boys) had no
other option than to use the BigIR vertical on another band which was 15M. I
had offered the girl team first choice in band and antenna's... Since my team
mate Mark-PA5MW was not in yet and I had been preparing the two setups up to a
few minutes before the contest I offered myself a lunch before diving into the

contest arena. This gave the girls a 37 minutes head start during which they
made about 50 QSO's. It took me and Mark 2.5 hours to catch up in QSO count.
>From that point onwards the QSO count lead (slightly) increased by the hour
pretty much up until the end where the difference was almost 400 Q's on a total

of 1300+. The difference in multipliers was even more significant: 280+255 for

us versus 158+173 for the girls. This boils down in a claimed score of 4M
versus 2M... If you ask us what could the girls have done better we would say,
change bands more often, do much more CW and don't just call CQ but work those

multipliers. It was definitely *not* lack of enthusiasm nor endurance :-)

Being used to a 3 EL Yagi on the high bands it was noticeable to run on a 1/4
wave vertical; more often than usual standing in line to work multipliers,
higher noise level and more QRM (no front to back ratio). Working other
continents on top-band was also difficult if not impossible this time, since we

didn't have any beverage or other RX antenna. All in all Mark and I really
enjoyed this contest because of the "female touch" and great activity
from all
around the world!

To conclude some statistics:
- the only 6-band QSO was made with OM8A
- six 5-band and fourteen 3-band QSO's
- 354 Q's with European Russia and 119 with Asiatic Russia
- 144 US stations logged followed by 81 DL's as the most worked countries
- Did not work the following Oblasts on any band: AN, DA, EA, FJ, GA, HA, IN,
MD, MG and TU
- Most worked oblast: MO with 44 Q's

Some pictures can be found here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/29325747@N03/sets/72157642515931434/

Setup used:
TenTec Orion + PA
1/4 vertical (BigIR) on 10/15/20)
40M dipole
80M loop
160M sloping 1/4 vertical (feed point at the top)
N1MM

73
-- Mark-PA5MW & Aurelio-PC5A