[3830] Rus DX NA8V SO CW LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, hgchapoton@gmail.com
Subject: [3830] Rus DX NA8V SO CW LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2014 00:22:48 +0000
                    Russian DX Contest

Call: NA8V
Operator(s): NA8V
Station: NA8V

Class: SO CW LP
QTH: Mi
Operating Time (hrs): 23

  160:     3              2         0
   80:    60             23         2
   40:   193             43        17
   20:   288             44        45
   15:   285             46        56
   10:   239             50        31
Total:  1068    0       208       151  Total Score = 2,301,549

Club: Mad River Radio Club

Comments:

What an excellent contest!  Conditions were good to excellent and Russian
activity was high.  I worked 66 different regions/oblasts total, much more than
I thought going in.

Things started out more slowly than I had hoped. between the effects of the
flare a couple days earlier and the Eurofest at the beginning rates weren't so
hot.  The good news was the great propogation on 15 and then 10 very deep into
the Far East.  I worked quite a few UA9/0's on both bands, with a JA and a BG
thrown in for good measure on 15 in the first hour.  The high volume of 10
point QSOs and high Oblast count more than made up for not so fast rate.

The biggest surprise in conditions was 20 meters.  All week, before the flare,
it had been wide open all night long.  In the contest, there were good
conditions to Asia in the first hours of darkness but that didn't carry through
to Europe.  80 was very good right after sunset but between the high noise
levels and the Eurofest, couldn't do very much at all.  When the band quieted
down and the skip got really good around 04z, there didn't seem to be much
activity from western EU.  I heard many signals on 160 in the first hour after
sunset but had no luck at all.

40 was also in great shape, with a couple UA9s plus lots of EU.  It's a shame
the band is so crowded with data signals - it's hard for a LP station to do a
lot in only 40kHz of band.

I continue to be amazed at the lack of US activity in this contest.  The
equinox is a great time of year for propagation and we had good conditions to
boot.  Many folks complained a year or so ago about the length of the CQWW
contest and the 24hr "classic" overlay was a  result.  One would
think those folks who find the CQWW too long would be out in droves for this
one - 24hr time period, everyone works everyone, all the bands are in play,
good point value structure - what's not to like??  maybe thay were on
fone.......

73,
greg/na8v