[3830] WPX SSB PJ4DX SO(A)SB20(TS) HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] WPX SSB PJ4DX SO(A)SB20(TS) HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2014 20:10:40 +0000
                    CQWW WPX Contest, SSB

Call: PJ4DX
Operator(s): PJ4DX
Station: PJ4DX

Class: SO(A)SB20(TS) HP
QTH: Bonaire
Operating Time (hrs):

------------
  160:
   80:
   40:
   20: 2339
   15:
   10:
------------

Club: Chiltern DX Club

Comments:

It looks like 10m was the place to be - and I was stuck on 20m! 20m is a real
ZOO.

I decided to operate 20m High-Power Assisted as it looked like the South
American record could be beaten. I could not operate for the full 36 hours as
20m is 'dead' for most of the day here in the tropics, but was so crowded in
the evening and at night it was difficult to find a clear run frequency and
impossible to hold it for long. I managed to beat the old record by about 2
million points but maybe someone else beat it with a larger margin?

I agree 100% with the comments made by P49V (AE6Y) on this reflector regarding
both the conditions and the over-driven distorted, splattery signals of many
south and especally eastern European stations. One Russian station in
particular had a very wide signal and at just over 3kHz away, where I was
attempting to operate, his signal was still S9+20dB here, nearly 10,000km away.
There's nothing wrong with STRONG signals, but his signal was extremely WIDE
too. Conversely, the JA and UK stations (also most PAs, ONs and Fs) had good,
easy-to-copy audio. I was able to operate quite happily for a couple of hours
less than 3kHz away from TO6C (M5RIC in Martinique, less than 1000km from here)
who was S9+40dB yet had an extremely clean signal.

Rig: FT-2000 and Tokyo Hy-Power HL-1.2Kfx amp at 600 watts to Spiderbeam
(3-elements) at 35 feet.

See you next year- but I won't be doing 20m Single Band!
73,
Steve, PJ4DX