[3830] WPX SSB 3V8BB(KF5EYY) SOAB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, ash.kf5eyy@gmail.com
Subject: [3830] WPX SSB 3V8BB(KF5EYY) SOAB HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 01 Apr 2014 19:01:29 +0000
                    CQWW WPX Contest, SSB

Call: 3V8BB
Operator(s): KF5EYY
Station: 3V8BB

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: Tunis
Operating Time (hrs): 36h00
Radios: SO2R

------------
  160:    1
   80:   41
   40:  433
   20:  937
   15: 1019
   10: 1280
------------

Club: Rhein Ruhr DX Association

Comments:

I was informed few days before the contest that Hrane YT1AD won't be able make
it to Tunisia for a SO operation and I had few time to make new plans..
Decision to go for an HP operation was taking few hours prior to contest start.
My favorite category was always SOAB-LP but imagining the QRM in such events led
me to HP!
The challenge I set for me was to make same/better than Hrane's last year score
of 15m points and be first in Africa. Writing the objectives in a sheet of paper
placed in front of me is always positive!
The set-up still need improvement here in terms of automation and ergonomics; I
used a couple FT-870 with an amplifier lined up on the RUN station. No filters
were available but RFI to the MULT station was really negligeable.
The first hours was terrible with only 55 QSOs on 20 and 40. European QRM wall
made it impossible to work on low bands or even to find a relatively clear
QRG... Splatter signals were all over the bands, the CC may need to do more
here.
High bands were in good shape but not as good as expected. My operating hours
were scheduled based on my rest obligations rather than 6-Point-bands openings.
However, I pushed hard to get the maximum out of them.
I'm happy that I could manage - and for the first time ever - to stick to the
pre-defined operating plan as a learnt lesson from my previous operations.
I started using the second radio late on Saturday afternoon and that brought
Twenty three valuable mults to the score. Moves were quicker and more efficient
this time.
Thanks to EVERYONE for the Qs!!

73
Ash, KF5EYY