[3830] 7QP N8II SOMixed LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, N8II@aol.com
Subject: [3830] 7QP N8II SOMixed LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 04 May 2014 16:14:11 +0000
                    7th Call Area QSO Party

Call: N8II
Operator(s): N8II
Station: N8II

Class: SOMixed LP
QTH: WV
Operating Time (hrs): ~14.5

  160:    0      0      0
   80:   21      3      0
   40:   24     21      0
   20:  133    148      0
   15:   94    114      0
   10:   17     31      0
    6:
    2:
----------------------------
Total:  289    317      0  Mults = 151  Total Score = 226,802

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

Wow, that was pretty close to QP nirvana! Signals were nil on 40 at the start, a
bit worrying. But, signals in 20 were strong and there were more of them early
than a few years back. 20 stayed good until about 1520Z; from then until about
22Z, I was the bottom of the heap dweller despite being able to work some
mobiles like N7XU, K5YAA, and WW7D pretty easily on CW. I only had about 50
QSO's on 20 phone at 2140Z when I took a dinner break; the 20M feedline needs
replaced. The good 20 phone runs started at 2244Z and lasted off and on until
0254Z, quite late! 15 M was the optimal band for most of the day, but activity
was focused on 20 or split between the two except for maybe 16-20Z. N9RV was
loud ar 1344Z, but the band opened well to all of 7 land around 1444Z. Most
signals even from small stations were easy copy and the big guns stayed very
loud. Except for W1AW/7, nothing from W7 was heard on 10 until 2326Z when NK7U
was worked at 15-20 db over S9. I milked 10 for more or less all it was worth
also finding 5 new mults in out of the way places like Lincoln, NV and Millard,
UT. Signals on 10 were mostly nice and loud for about an hour, a pity many ops
missed the opportunity to add QSO's. 40 opened a bit late, but was fine with
limited activity and plenty of NEQP QRM. The QRN level could not have been
lower for May on both 80 and 40 and signals on 80 were about as good as they
can get for May.
Many thanks to all of the county expeditions, county line expeditions, and
mobiles for a job very well done! I worked mobiles K5YAA, N7XU, N7WA, WW7D,
N7OU, and WT7TT many times and it should have been more while I was busy
running on phone. There was almost no phone mobile activity heard here, only
two Q;s with K5YAA. Vast areas of UT, WY, and MT were not heard here. I only
missed a few counties in OR and WA which were covered best by the fixed plus
portable and mobile stations, but did not come close to a sweep in any. N7XU
and WW7D did a great job covering big areas of ID.
I didn't check the old records pre-contest, but had a rough idea of the LP
mixed record. This score would probably rank 3rd in the HIGH power records, but
I had a brief chat with record holder W0BH who looked like he was gunning to up
the record. It's safe to say a new LP record will be set; the old one was 136K.
Many thanks to all who called in and went out of their way to put rare counties
on the air. The activity level seems to be increasing, always nice to see.

73, Jeff