[3830] WPX CW W6QU(W8QZA) SOAB QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com, wparker2@san.rr.com
Subject: [3830] WPX CW W6QU(W8QZA) SOAB QRP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 26 May 2014 03:34:43 +0000
                    CQWW WPX Contest, CW

Call: W6QU
Operator(s): W8QZA
Station: W8QZA

Class: SOAB QRP
QTH: San Diego, CA
Operating Time (hrs): 12

------------
  160:    0
   80:    0
   40:   19
   20:   49
   15:  144
   10:   36
------------

Club: Southern California Contest Club

Comments:

Radio:  Elecraft K-2, 5 Watts

Antennas:

10-15-20 M  3 element SteppIR up 32 feet
40 M  Butternut HF-2V with two radials
40-80 M  DX-LB trap dipole up 30 feet

Well, the rubber joints on my 3 element SteppIR finally gave out under the
constant UV of the San Diego sun. So after a couple of strong "Santa
Ana" winds those fiberglass poles started shaking out of their motor box
and were hanging precariously!

Fortunately we have Glenn, K6NA, here in San Diego to do the tough work of
replacing the rubber joints, and covering them with 3M #88 tape ...so it won't
happen again! I rented a 60 foot Snorkel boom-lift and Glenn fixed the SteppIR
better than new on Saturday, the first full day of the contest.

I was able to work the contest a bit Saturday night, and was finally able to
get down to work most of Sunday.

It was nice to see 20 Meters open to Europe late Saturday evening when I
started operating.  Starting Sunday morning, I was disappointed to not hear
Europe at all on 10 Meters. But 15 M was quite open to Europe until early
afternoon. And that is where I did most of my work.

My best QSOs included 4Z4AK soon after I started on 20 M Saturday eve. I also
got VK6NC later on 15 M and CN3A on 40 M.  On Sunday I got A65BP on 15 M for
one of the best contest QSOs I have ever made. I also got 5W1SA and E51JQY on
10 M during the day.

MY DXCC was 60 and WAZ 25, and that is 12 hours. My fastest rate over a full
hour was 36/Hr, all S & P. I did not do any CQing in this contest. 30% of
my Qs were in Europe, so propagation to Europe was definitely reasonable!

So I am delighted to have my SteppIR restored to better than new condition.
>From the looks of the early 3830 returns, I am going to be near the bottom of
the QRP entries, but it was a lot of fun. ...and those "Best Qs" make
up for part of the lousy score!

See you at the IARU in July.  73,   Bill  W8QZA / W6QU