[3830] WPX CW N5AW SOAB LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, n5aw@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] WPX CW N5AW SOAB LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 26 May 2014 14:18:07 +0000
                    CQWW WPX Contest, CW

Call: N5AW
Operator(s): N5AW
Station: N5AW

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: TX (EM00)
Operating Time (hrs): 36
Radios: SO2R

------------
  160:
   80:
   40:  321
   20:  606
   15: 1177
   10:  110
------------

Club: Central Texas DX and Contest Club

Comments:

WPX CW is perhaps the only major contest with a DX component that, during high
sunspot years, the fifth call area can compete on an almost equal footing with
the US East Coast.  Between 15 and 20 meters it is possible to run Europe
almost around the clock.  The East Coast advantage is reduced basically to 40
meters and the double points for DX contacts there. 40 is basically a night
time band for DX and from Central Texas the path to Central Europe is in total
darkness for only two hours. Those are the wee hours of the morning in Europe
and “prime time” in the US. CQing on 40 during that short window produces
mostly one point USA QSOs. You are generally better off running on 15 and 20
where most of your contacts are three pointers. You can compensate a little by
working JAs on 40 for a few hours before our sunrise but they are never there
in big numbers. The bottom line is the only way we have a chance of beating the
East Coast guys is to make more contacts on the high bands to make up for their
double point 40 meter European contacts.

Three years in a row I’ve finished number two low power behind an East Coast
station. I was hoping to change that this year. I did not count on
thunderstorms though. We have had extremely dry weather for five months
�" less than 3 inches of rain during that time. So you might know
�" we had local thunderstorms all weekend and heavy rain Sunday morning.
With nearby lightening I had to shut down for over an hour during the prime
time for Europe (thank goodness for the 36 hour limit). For most of Sunday
static crashes were so bad that even on 15 meters I had to ask for many
repeats. 20 meters sounded more like 80 meters in mid-summer here. My 10 meter
numbers are relatively high because much of the time that was the only band
where I could make second radio contacts. So much for the whining �" it
was still fun and I came close to the zone 4 low power record I set in 2012.
Actually the raw score is slightly above it but I’m sure log checking will
put it well below.

Radios: Two Elecraft K3s �" 100 watts

Antennas:
          40m: Moxon @ 42m, Lazy H @ 40m NW-SE
          20m: 4L @ 35m and 24m fixed NE, 204BA @ 17m fixed NW
          15M: 6L OWA @ 29m, 6L OWA @ 19m fixed NE
          10m: 5L @ 15m fixed NE
   10/15/20m: 3L SteppIR @ 41m
                      4L SteppIR @ 23m
                      TA34XLW @ 13m fixed SE
    Beverages: 230m NE, 160m NW & SE

Other: Homebrew SO2R box, TR4W log

                             2014 CQ-WPX-CW N5AW
                                 Continent List

                    160    80    40    20    15    10   ALL
                    ---   ---   ---   ---   ---   ---   ---
      USA calls =     0     0   128   185   409    27   749
   Canada calls =     0     0    12    24    45     1    82
       NA calls =     0     0     9     5    13    12    39
       SA calls =     0     0    10     8    18    46    82
     Euro calls =     0     0    86   318   519     4   927
  African calls =     0     0     6     8     6     4    24
    Asian calls =     0     0     6    28    38     1    73
    Japan calls =     0     0    57    22   120     1   200
    Ocean calls =     0     0     7    10    19    17    53

    Total calls =     0     0   321   608  1187   113  2229