[3830] WPX CW KS9K(N4TZ) SOSB15 HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, n4tz@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] WPX CW KS9K(N4TZ) SOSB15 HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 26 May 2014 15:39:47 +0000
                    CQWW WPX Contest, CW

Call: KS9K
Operator(s): N4TZ
Station: N4TZ

Class: SOSB15 HP
QTH: IN
Operating Time (hrs): 36

------------
  160:
   80:
   40:
   20:
   15: 1801
   10:
------------

Club: Society of Midwest Contesters

Comments:

Decided to elimate the problem of competing with the East
Coast due to my lack of 6 point 40 meter contacts by
operating 15 meter single band.  I took the 125 foot long
extension cord out of storage and plugged the Titan into the
clothes dryer outlet for the weekend.  Even placed one of
K3LRs old TIC controllers on the desk - the one that said
'15 meter 7 element at 120feet' - hoping for good luck
Then I heard K3LR on 15 meters and knew it was going to
be a tough weekend!

After the contest I compared the signal strengths of
k3LR with KS9K on reversebeacon.net at three different
European sites: ON5KQ, ES5PC, and US0KW.  K3LR was
generally stronger on Sunday, given twice the tower height
and twice the boom lengths at K3LR.  But Saturday was a
disaster for KS9K receiving only half the beacon spots and
the strength often being 20dB down, plus the band opening
two or more hours earlier for K3LR.  I CQed over 5000
times and generally signed KS9K TEST after each QSO,
which is supposed to trigger the reverse beacon system.

Had a lot of fun and didn't have to give too much thought
to when to take the time off for sleep!  And with higher
power, I didn't get pushed off the frequency.  Had some
problems hearing JA stations with early evening QRN from
active weather in that direction.  Worked 500 USA stations
and 1000 European stations.  Congrats to K3EST for his big
15 M score, too.