[3830] All Asian CW 4K9Z(N6GQ) SOAB LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, jeff@n6gq.com
Subject: [3830] All Asian CW 4K9Z(N6GQ) SOAB LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sat, 21 Jun 2014 16:57:55 +0000
                    All Asian DX Contest, CW

Call: 4K9Z
Operator(s): N6GQ
Station: 4K7Z

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: Baku, Azerbaijan
Operating Time (hrs): 5

  160:
   80:
   40:
   20:  291    43
   15:  295    47
   10:
-------------------
Total:  586    90  Total Score = 146,880

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Comments:

First, I'd like to thank my wonderful 4K Ham friends for allowing me to drop in
and use their club station. Special thanks for Denis, 4J5D, Igor 4K5D, and
Natig 4J5T for their awesome help and hospitality!

I had planned to be in the area for work a number of months ago but ended up
canceling the trip due to the issues in Ukraine and Crimea, but ended up adding
Azerbaijan to another trip a bit later, so it was nice to complete the circle
and actually make it to 4K as I had planned. Natig, 4J5T had helped me in
obtaining my 4K9Z license, and so I had that already, and it just so happened
that my rescheduled trip ended up being over All Asian CW weekend so I just got
lucky in that way. I am coming off a couple weeks of heavy travel and I was
already tired, but promised myself that if possible I would get on the air and
make a few hundred QSOs.

Denis was kind enough to pick me up from my hotel in Baku and bring me to the
club station around 0200Z. After getting the logger set up I was off and away
on 20M. There were a few W's on the band, and the first signals I heard were
A42A and W1AW/7 (Boy, W1AW/7 was LOUD) - Alright! It took me a bit to get in
the groove of doing a CW contest without a paddle (left my paddle at home!),
rather only using the CW messages in N1MM and CTRL+K when I needed to ad-lib :)
Anyhow, nice to work a few KBers from my home club (NCCC) and hopefully hand out
a multiplier to a few.

It was a very leisure effort, especially enjoying a few hours for a wonderful
lunch with some of the 4K7Z club station members in the middle of the contest
day in Baku. At about 1200z I had surpassed my 500 QSO goal and my eyes were
starting to close on their own, so I figured that was enough and I packed up. I
wish I would have kept a tally of how many CQ's I made like K6XX does, but it
was quite a few :)

AA is a great contest, I just wish conditions were a little better this time
around, and I had a bit more energy and time to put in to a fuller effort.

Thanks again to the 4K7Z group - truly wonderful people.

See you in CQWW SSB from 6W, and who knows where else :)

73 de N6GQ, 4K9Z, YN2AA, 9H3ZZ, etc., etc.