[3830] All Asian CW C4Z(5B4AIZ) SOAB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] All Asian CW C4Z(5B4AIZ) SOAB HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2014 21:13:04 +0000
                    All Asian DX Contest, CW

Call: C4Z
Operator(s): 5B4AIZ
Station: 5B4AIZ

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: LARNACA
Operating Time (hrs): 13

  160:
   80:
   40:
   20:  234    36
   15:  720    56
   10:  151    26
-------------------
Total: 1105   118  Total Score = 382,792

Club: UKEICC

Comments:

We have had consistent strong winds here in recent weeks with some pretty scary
gusts at times, unusual to last so far into June, so my 60' tower has been
lowered and nested with the antenna just 25' above ground.

Social things were planned for the weekend meaning it would not be possible to
do a lot in the AA test which was disappointing as this test is a high rate
event for Asian stns.

I decided to have some hours of fun just running, not expecting a great deal as
the antenna has to be fixed due North as obstructions at that height prevent any
rotation. Further there is a building less than 20' in front which rises several
feet higher.

Of course at this time of year the higher bands open and close as quickly as
the doors on a Macey's Store so it can be frustrating when one moment the
callers are deep and the rate manic and the next minute zilch.

10mtrs was hard work and needed persistence to squeeze anything from it waiting
long periods for the sporadic 'e's to appear, so it was mainly Eu's/UA9's with
just a handful of JA big guns making it through on 'F2', nothing to the west of
EI on that band.

I did only a couple of hours or so on 20mtrs, that was  Saturday evening,
propagation was more stable but again  mainly EU with some  very strong JA at
times. Poor to the west with few east coast NA, single PY & LU, maybe it
got better after 21z when I went qrt.

Best performer was 15m on both days, when it opened the piles were  huge, is
everyone using the RBN ? I wish they would spread out some, I could not pick
out anyone who called less than 25hz above my tx qrg which was just a blurr of
zero beats. JA's seemed to be present from mid morning to late evening,
whenever i got on air. I don't know what to make of USA, I worked all areas,
one through zero but there were more 5's through zero, plus VE7, than 1/2/3/4
whose sigs were generally weaker. I did get the impression that there was not
such great support from USA or SA. I didn't hear any callers from Carrib, maybe
had I done S&P I would have found some but I wasn't mult hunting. Then again
those effects may have been due to the orientation of my antenna.

I was very surprised just how well the antenna performed with those
restrictions. I did feel that I was a weaker signal than normal as I was
continually covered by continual callers and needed to repeat the calls of
those I picked from the pile several times on many occasions.  Whilst I perhaps
may not have been able  to break many piles with that set up I did learn that
even taking part with a handicap can still be fun.

 TS570 + ACOM1010 500w. -  Ant X7 - Logging with 'SD'.

73  Brian 5B4AIZ / C4Z.