[3830] All Asian CW N8II SOSB/15 HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, n8ii@aol.com
Subject: [3830] All Asian CW N8II SOSB/15 HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2014 00:34:34 +0000
                    All Asian DX Contest, CW

Call: N8II
Operator(s): N8II
Station: N8II

Class: SOSB/15 HP
QTH: WV
Operating Time (hrs): ~6

  160:
   80:
   40:
   20:
   15:  152    97
   10:
-------------------
Total:  152    97  Total Score = 14,744

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

The AA CW this year was quite a bit fun on 15 from here, but the Asian activity
level could have been much higher. In particular, only a few Russian stations
were worked. At the start of the contest, conditions were not very good, but
each morning and evening was better than the one before as the contest
progressed until Sunday conditions (after 12Z) were extremely good especially
for a SFI of only 98. The first night I was only able to work Japan and
Sakhalin Is. despite hearing several Chinese stations and 9V1YC. Saturday
morning, I was able to log 9M2 and several HS prefixes along with UN8 and some
western Asians. Japan was improving, but limited mainly to a few big guns
before I had to QRT at 14Z to get ready to attend the W3LPL open house, a
really nice and enjoyable well attended event. Just the fiberglass guy wire at
LPL would be enough to break most hams budgets; he has 7 towers with yagis,
several up 57M high plus two 1/4 wave vertical 160M towers part of a 4 square.
It was a busy weekend for me, also having to cut grass and spend almost 2 hours
picking raspberries.
Saturday evening was decent to JA, but was not able to run that many JA's. I
finally broke through to several Chinese and more Thai stations as well as
logging JT1. Around 0430Z, 15 was still open to big gun JA's, HS, and across to
UA9C, pretty amazing with the low solar flux! From 12Z onward the band probably
never closed to Japan and all of East Asia was loud peaking to SE Asia around
15Z. Two 9V1's were logged along with BV1, BX4, BH3, HL3, E29, XV9, XW3, BA4,
VU3, and many new JA Q's and prefixes. If I could hear a station, I could log
him pretty easily with 200 W to a 5 El yagi. Many thanks to those who struggled
with poor propagation and my less than Q5 signal to complete a QSO and to all of
those who answered my CQ's. This is probably my best AA CW single band score
ever.