[3830] ARRL FD VE9AA 1B QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL FD VE9AA 1B QRP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 29 Jun 2014 20:30:56 +0000

  903:
  1.2:
  2.3:
  3.4:
  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
----------------------------
Total:  146     7       0  Total Score = 1,495

Club: Maritime Contest Club

Comments:

Decided to go (semi) old school and try no rig interface, QRP power, battery and
solar panel, ZS6BKW wire antenna up 24feet, oldest laptop I could find, all CW
sent by paddles, fabric tent and an old door on sawhorses for a table etc.

The temp on Saturday in the tent hovered around 110F for hours and on Sunday it
wasn't much better, thus our operation  consisted of about 15-30 minutes op time
with a 1 hour break, rinse repeat.  N1MM calls it 6 hours.  It was likely a bit
more with tuning around trying to get someone to hear our 5 watts.

Ops were VE9AA and son, Corey 13 yrs old who is not a ham.  He helped ol' Dad
set up, tear down and made one SSB contact on 20m SSB to Alberta which he was
timid about and with QRM it was lotsa back and forth with our 5 watts to
complete but he did it all himself.

Condx up here were "meh" and only worked a couple E-skip Q's on 10m
and even though I tuned 10m and 6m hourly when we were in the tent, I never
heard a signal on SIX.....oh well !

They say QRP builds character.  Hopefully I am as much of a character I need to
be and more won't be needed. (arr arr)

73 and if you worked me, you did the heavy lifting on your end.

MIke VE9AA........and Corey....a non ham