[3830] ARRL FD K5WA 1A LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k5wa@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] ARRL FD K5WA 1A LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Wed, 02 Jul 2014 01:15:35 +0000
                    ARRL Field Day

Call: K5WA
Operator(s): K5TU K5PI KG5U W5MJ NW7DX KD5HUN K5WKC K5WA
Station: K5WA

Class: 1A LP
QTH: STX
Operating Time (hrs): 24

  160:     0     0       0
   80:   107     0       0
   40:   557   194       0
   20:   985   112       0
   15:   244   139       0
   10:    20     0       0
    6:     2    57       0
    2:
  222:
  432:
  903:
  1.2:
  2.3:
  3.4:
  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
----------------------------
Total:  1915   502    2417  Total Score = 8,664

Club: South Texas DX & Contest Club

Comments:

We've had a little "mostly CW" FD effort the last few years at a
location west of Houston.  This year, we moved to K5TU's (Kim Carr) new 22
acres since he has a nice "barndaminium" with air conditioning,
shower, kitchen and a fully stocked bar.  We still set up our tent and towers
to operate off the generator but sleeping inside is a welcome change over the
camping we've done previously.  Also, Kim's sons are excellent chefs and
prepared incredible meals for us.  That is another major improvement from FDs
past for our group.  We had a big time, tried some crazy stuff (not drugs, just
radio) and didn't get anybody hurt so we were extremely happy with our results
from temporary antennas and so-so conditions.  Madison, W5MJ, made our
operating easier by bringing a 2 element 40 with him.  It played like a hose.
We also invested in 3 element mono-banders for 10, 15 and 20 which also played
very well.  We even had an 80M dipole up a 50' tree with the aid of my
slingshot.  My 30 year old Honda generator continued to play for another year
and we were only scarred with a bumper crop of chiggers and a water moccasin.

Fun was had by all; of course, the term "fun" gets better as the
sunburns fade and the rate stories get better.

73,
Bob K5WA