[3830] RAC Day VE4VT SOAB LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] RAC Day VE4VT SOAB LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Wed, 02 Jul 2014 14:37:53 +0000
                    RAC Canada Day Contest

Call: VE4VT
Operator(s): VE4VT
Station: VE4VT

Class: SOAB LP
QTH:
Operating Time (hrs): 11

  160:    2      2       2         1
   80:   10     10       4         5
   40:   24     62       6         8
   20:   59    562       8        11
   15:   39     44       8         8
   10:    9      7       3         3
    6:   11     13       2         1
    2:    0      3       0         1
Total:  154    703      33        38  Total Score = 372,182

Club: Radiosport Manitoba

Comments:

I would like to have spent more time in this contest but other commitments took
precedence this time around.

Monday evening conditions were pretty decent and I discovered there was a
really good 6m opening that I wasted too much time playing around with. Problem
was there was only a few stations in Canada active, (BC) and that was ufortunate
as I am sure the band was open to southern Ontario and Alberta as well judging
from the beacons. If 6m was open so was 10 but I could find no activity on
there either. Opportunities lost for mults and too much time wastd calling CQ
looking for those mults.

Tuesday morning showed great promise as 20m was showing very strong short skip
signals and both 15 and 10 had evidence of sporadic E openings. But again, not
much activity despite doing my best to make noise on the band. Not sure if it
was just summer conditions or what happened but by noon, the high bands really
went flat. Other than a surprise 10m opening late in the afternoon to southern
Ontario that I discovered when VA3RAC moved me there, conditions remained
dismal.

The highlight was chatting with all the usual friendly Canadian contesters, and
working KP2/K3TEJ for a new DXCC and grid on 6m.

Spent too much time calling CQ on bands that were open but unused.

Thanks everyone for the Q's and wishing you all a safe happy summer!

Ed/VE4VT