[3830] IARU K3FIV SO Mixed LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k3fiv@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] IARU K3FIV SO Mixed LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 13 Jul 2014 17:15:17 +0000
                    IARU HF World Championship

Call: K3FIV
Operator(s): K3FIV
Station: K3FIV

Class: SO Mixed LP
QTH:
Operating Time (hrs): 12

  160:    0      0      0       0
   80:    6      0      2       2
   40:   32      7      9       5
   20:   92      8     21      28
   15:   74     23     15       7
   10:   10      2      5       6
-------------------------------------
Total:  214     40     52      48  Total Score = 82,800

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Comments:

Fun contest.  First half was a struggle from the US West Coast, as all the
action was across the Atlantic, and the bands weren't very good.  Second half
brought worldwide opening, with lots of EU stations to work.  That's very
unusual for me with my 100W and low dipole, on the far edge of NA.

One surprise was the lack of Asian stations.  Even JA was not around much.
>From my QTH at the edge of the Pacific, I usually hear lots of Asia/Oceania,
but not much this time.   There were a few reasonably strong JA stations, but
nothing like a typical DX contest.  I'm not sure if it was propagation or lack
of activity or I just missed it.  Perhaps Asia/Oceania has the same effect as
we experience in the West Coast US -- most activity seems focused on Eastern-US
and Europe so not so many outsider stations get on the air for long?

Nice surprise was running into Antarctica on 20M well after dark here.  Fun to
work Europe, VK/ZL, SA, and Antarctica just a few minutes apart.

/Jack de K3FIV
Point Arena, CA
CM88eu