[3830] IARU NN7SS(K6UFO) SO Mixed QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k6ufo@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] IARU NN7SS(K6UFO) SO Mixed QRP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 13 Jul 2014 17:45:58 +0000
                    IARU HF World Championship

Call: NN7SS
Operator(s): K6UFO
Station: NN7SS

Class: SO Mixed QRP
QTH: WA
Operating Time (hrs): 1.0
Remote Operation

  160:
   80:
   40:
   20:   21     6      6        5
   15:          3      1        1
   10:
-------------------------------------
Total:   21     9      7        6  Total Score = 1,092

Club: Western Washington DX Club

Comments:

For me, this weekend was 99 percent setup, and only 1 percent operating. I
installed a
new remote system at the station.

Thursday afternoon I installed a Elecraft K3. It worked well in the Thursday
night
NCCC Sprints on RTTY and CW.

Friday afternoon I installed a new pair of RemoteRig units. Lots of cables,
configuration
and waiting for the units or the internet router to restart with new settings.
Then I added
the K3/0-Mini control head and got it talking to the remote K3. I got stuck
trying to connect
to the logging laptop. I finally went to sleep so I could work on it with a
clear head on
Saturday morning - even though I'd miss the start of the contest.

Saturday morning I finally got the the K3 connected through the RemoteRig units
to the
logging laptop. Then a lot of adjustments to get everything "right"
and documenting the
settings. By 18z I was able to make CW contacts and log them. Next, how  to get
SSB
working? Lots of problems and quirks, but finally able to operate remote SSB by
22z.

My brain was exhausted, so I powered down everything and took some time off.
Then I
did a full "cold start" and wrote my setup and operating
instructions. That took a couple
of hours! But it will help every time from now on.

Oops, I also need to create a cable to the band decoder to select proper
antennas. I
scrounged about for the proper cables and pinout diagrams, and melted a little
solder.
Finally back on the air with automatic antenna switching. Operated another
half-hour
both modes and called it a success.

NN7SS (op K6UFO)

15m: C-3 at 48ft