[3830] IARU N1UR SO SSB LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, edsawyer@sbelectronics.com
Subject: [3830] IARU N1UR SO SSB LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2014 01:34:10 +0000
                    IARU HF World Championship

Call: N1UR
Operator(s): N1UR
Station: N1UR

Class: SO SSB LP
QTH: VT
Operating Time (hrs): 21
Radios: SO2R

  160:            6     2
   80:          108     9       13
   40:          258    17       32
   20:          496    24       47
   15:          417    21       32
   10:           46     8        9
-------------------------------------
Total:   0     1331    81      133  Total Score = 935,608

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

Lots of fun as usual.  Conditions were excellent but typical summer.
Only 1 EU station worked on 10M - EF4HQ.  A few others heard ESP
but not able to hear me.  15 - 40 were great with TM0HQ (TM6M)
heard until 0330Z on 15M - amazing.

Unfortunately for me, the WRTC competition greatly changed the
landscape on this one.  The casuals were busy chasing the ARRL
points and WRTC certificates rather than calling the rest of the
participants.  Also, because the WRTC was so CW centric, it pulled
casuals and HQ stations away from the SSB portion.  For the first
time, I never heard NU1AW on any band - SSB.  And W100AW was not
on 160 SSB either.

So I am sure that a record breaking opportunity existed for the
low power SSB category but it was elusive given the circumstances.
Not complaining about it at all - but the facts are what they are.
I was spotted 8 times in the contest according to the DX Summit
search and was spotted 16 times in 2012 given similar conditions.
I basically CQ'ed the entire time.

This contest is really a hidden jewel in my opinion.  It would be
really interesting if the format was changed to the WRTC format
for the whole contest.  I think many more would participate.  The
summer conditions are so different - it really changes things up.

Congrats to all the WRTC champions.

Enjoy the summer.

Ed  N1UR