[3830] CQWW VHF W7QQR(@W7QQ/R) Rover HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, Jamesduffey@comcast.net
Subject: [3830] CQWW VHF W7QQR(@W7QQ/R) Rover HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2014 01:34:46 +0000
                    CQ Worldwide VHF Contest

Call: W7QQR
Operator(s): W7QQ KK6MC
Station: W7QQ/R

Class: Rover HP
QTH: rover
Operating Time (hrs): 18

    6:  144   110
    2:   14    12
-------------------
Total:  158   122  Total Score = 20,984

Club: Arizona Outlaws Contest Club

Comments:

Bands were pretty dead Saturday, with only 3 sporadic E contacts. We did find a
great site for troposcatter QSOes in DM53, Blue Vista on Hwy 191. We
overnighted with N2IC in Silver City and headed out in the morning to Emory
Pass, DM62.

After a half hour of working El Paso, Las Cruces and Alamogordo hams, the band
opened with Sporadic E to the midwest and south east and we worked that for an
hour and a half until we decided that we needed to move on. The opening
continued while we were in motion, while we stopped in DM64, moved on to DM63,
where we ended the contest. The band was in with Sporadic E nearly all of that
time, to the midwest, south, south east and northwest. The band closed 15
minutes before the end of the contest.

The gear included, for each band a K-2, DEMI transverter, and TE systems 300W
amplifier. The 6M antenna is a Moxon at 13 feet and a W7QQ 8ft boom Yagi for
2M
at 12 feet. These can be rotated in motion. One of the highlights of the trip
was working K2CEI on one of his transverters. We also took that 13 ft high
Moxon through a 12 ft 7 in tunnel, a 12 ft 6 in bridge, and a 12 ft bridge with
no untoward incidents.

We doubled our score from last year, so we are pretty happy. And tired.