[3830] IOTA W4O(N4YDU) SO(A)24Mixed LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] IOTA W4O(N4YDU) SO(A)24Mixed LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 27 Jul 2014 21:27:02 +0000
                    IOTA Contest

Call: W4O
Operator(s): N4YDU
Station: W4O

Class: SO(A)24Mixed LP
QTH: NA067 OCRACOKE, NC
Operating Time (hrs): 15

   80:    9       6        0       0
   40:  125      28       21      10
   20:  165      25      153      22
   15:   60      12        7       3
   10:    4       0        2       0
Total:  363      71      183      35  Total Score = 419,760

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

Ninth year in a row doing this from the NA067 Group - third straight year from
Ocracoke. I spent a week there this year with my wife and in-laws - great time.
The rental property was not the best for antennas but I managed to sling up a 40
meter inverted vee on a 30 foot mast. The antenna was fed with ladder line and
used on all bands. The biggest disappointment was the amount of line noise. It
was S9 at times. It seemed to improve after the heavy rain but it was still
tough. I put up a RX loop and that made 15 and 10 usable. Too bad conditions
were rough on the day of the contest. I worked JAs each morning on 20 with ease
during the week but heard none during the contest.

The start of the event was good but then the rate went bad after three hours
and I took a few naps, walked the dog and went to the beach. The bands got a
lot better at 22 UTC and it was fun chasing other Island stations and attempt
to get some sort of rate.

Always fun to pal around with WB8YJF/4 who operated from a rental property as
well. At one point there were three hams from Ocracoke calling a mult at the
same time! I believe there were a total of five active stations from Ocracoke
Village during the event.

Rig was a K3 with WinTest software.

Time for a radio break - it's been a busy radio summer - one to remember for
sure!

73,

Nate/N4YDU