[3830] IOTA JA1BPA(@JG1ZUY) SO(A)12Mixed HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, icko@yahoo.co.jp
Subject: [3830] IOTA JA1BPA(@JG1ZUY) SO(A)12Mixed HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2014 03:01:29 +0000
                    IOTA Contest

Call: JA1BPA
Operator(s): JA1BPA
Station: JG1ZUY

Class: SO(A)12Mixed HP
QTH: Chiba, JAPAN (AS-007
Operating Time (hrs): 12
Radios: SO2R

   80:
   40:   55      17        2       1
   20:  187      39      261      32
   15:  182      31      122      24
   10:
Total:  424      87      385      57  Total Score = 866,160

Club: University of Tokyo Contest Club

Comments:

Tough weekend at JG1ZUY with 35 deg C. maximum temperature and 80%
humidity.  Inside the shack, it was peaking 40+ deg C. with
transceivers, amplifiers, and PCs emitting heat all the time
and without air conditioning.

I have never tried to operate full 24 hours for this contest due to
the heat concerns during the day time.  My strategy was to operate
the first 9 hours without break, and to save 3 hours for the local
evening opening (08~11UTC).  However, it turned out that the
propagation on 15mb deteriorated over the course of the day,
and I did not have "evening opening" at all.

The first hours were great with nice opening on 15mb followed
by another great opening on 20mb.  The pile-up on CW at the
beginning was too fierce with everyone zeroed-in and having
the same tone (typical result of RBN spot when everyone clicks
on it).  I moved to SSB to handle the pile-up better.  SSB
pile-ups were more manageable with different voices,
accents, etc.

Thank you for all the QSOs.  My next contest activity will be
RDA Contest in August.  In September, I plan to visit K1TTT
contest station in Massachusetts to participate in their
Multi-op. activity in WAEDC SSB Contest.

Best 73,

Icko, JA1BPA