[3830] NAQP CW VE9AA Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] NAQP CW VE9AA Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 03 Aug 2014 13:03:49 +0000
                    North American QSO Party, CW - August

Call: VE9AA
Operator(s): VE9AA
Station: VE9AA

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: nb
Operating Time (hrs): 7

  160:    2     2
   80:   14    11
   40:  101    29
   20:  140    33
   15:   36    18
   10:   17     7
-------------------
Total:  310    98  Total Score = 30,380

Club: Maritime Contest Club

Team: Team Emm Cee Cee

Comments:

We were definitely 'under the (AU) dome' up here in VE9 for this one.
With the exception of some QRP single band contests, I don't think my rate has
ever been so low.  I should've taken off the first 2 hours of the contest and
waited for the A&K indices to slide back down, hi !

I had a real hard time getting anyone to hear me and running was near
impossible.  The exception was probably on 10m Es....the band was quiet and
although signals were quite weak, there wasn't much need for repeats.  Sadly,
not many people seemed to work 10m at all. (17 Q's in all)....There were a
couple W4's that seemed to be in for 5 or 6 hours - no doubt SO2R or SO3R.

Only reason I stuck it out as long as I did was for "Team Emm Cee
Cee" (Maritime COntest Club)

Gary, VE1RGB provided my NS mult on 40-80-160 and I never worked another VE1,
VO1, VE9, VO2 or VY2 the entire time I was on.  Thanks to Claude VE2FK for 80
& 160 - I can always count on him for VE2.  Many VE3's around and of course
was good to hear Cary VE4EA and Ed VE4YU on from VE4....no VE5/6 or 7's worked,
though I called til I was blue in the face for VA7ST on 2 bands and also VE7FO
on I think it was 20m.  Both were hovering around 519-539 for long periods.

There seems to be this wall, when it comes to the west coast.  VE7's and W6's
can be a rock solid 519 or 529 here and I cannot for the life of me get their
attn.when I am running 100w, yet W4,5,0 or 8,9's's can be that level or weaker
and I can almost always manage a contact.  It's bizarre and I have seen this
many times when I am running 100w.  In fact, not in this contest, but I have
seen others where the VE7's and W6's have been really bumping the S-meter and
not so much as a QRZ.  Weird !

All that being said, there was obviously still a very select few stations
running extreme power, well above the 100w limit.  I shake my head wondering
what such pleasure folks derive from that.  I am talking about a guy who is s9
here for hours and I cannot raise.  We know who you are !

All in all, even with less than stellar condx I had a relatively good time,
waved the MCC flag and got out of mowing the lawn and painting the house for 1
day.

I will pay for it today ;-)

Mike VE9AA 100w, IC-7410, HF9V @ 8' and also ZS6BKW @ 42' as an inverted VEE,
inverted L on 160m-apex @ 43'