[3830] NAQP CW K3FIV Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k3fiv@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] NAQP CW K3FIV Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 03 Aug 2014 19:11:20 +0000
                    North American QSO Party, CW - August

Call: K3FIV
Operator(s): K3FIV
Station: K3FIV

Class: Single Op LP
QTH:
Operating Time (hrs): 8

  160:    0     0
   80:   24    12
   40:  100    36
   20:   97    40
   15:   40    21
   10:    3     2
-------------------
Total:  264   111  Total Score = 29,304

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Team: NCCC #6

Comments:

That was fun, even though the bands weren't so great.   As usual, it was a
struggle on 10/15/20 with just my low dipole, but I did manage to get a short
run or two on 20.   40 was good, 80 was painfully noisy at times so I went back
to 40.

Checked 10 every 30 minutes or so and heard a few faint east coast signals
under the noise.  Managed to work two HI stations, which were strong here.
The surprise was also working ZF2DX on 10M (with just my dipole and his beam
probably pointed elsewhere) so there must have been some propagation!

Apologies to several people that I left hanging in the middle of a QSO.   My
computer would just suddenly go off into Nevernever Land while I was typing.
Since with my Flex-3000 the computer is also the radio, that also meant the
radio did weird things - like QSY to WWV, who totally ignored my exchange! (No
it didn't actually transmit there).

It turned out to be a new trick in Murphy's bag.   I've been using the same
computer/keyboard/mouse for at least 4 years, still running Windows XP, and not
allowed to do any updates.   I like it stable.

For some reason, in the middle of NAQP, the "touchpad" on the right
side of my keyboard started behaving as a mouse.  I had forgotten I even had a
touchpad since I never use it, preferring a regular mouse.   Apparently as my
hand was poised over the keyboard, the little finger of my right hand would
occasionally brush the touchpad ... and send the cursor off into another
window, click on some function key for me, or otherwise do Something Bad.

That's never happened in the last four years.   No idea why now.

So, apologies to those of you that I abandoned.  My little finger has been
severely chastised.  The keyboard?   Well, the trash is going to the dump
today....

73,
/Jack de K3FIV