[3830] WAE CW K5KG Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, GEORGEK5KG@aol.com, FCG@kkn.net
Subject: [3830] WAE CW K5KG Single Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2014 01:18:40 +0000
                    WAE DX Contest, CW

Call: K5KG
Operator(s): K5KG
Station: K5KG

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: WCG
Operating Time (hrs): 33.25

   80:    0     0     0
   40:  327   278    32
   20:  665   734    43
   15:  611   592    44
   10:   12     0     3
-------------------------
Total: 1615  1604   276  Total Score = 887,616

Club: Florida Contest Group

Comments:

Stn: K3, Acom 2000A, 2X-3B-12L tribander, 2el M2 40 yagi, WinTest logger.  Found
80m ant DOA shortly before the contest, so no 80m.  The 2x tribander was new
this spring, and it really proved its worth in this conest.

Condx: Hot FL wx, storms in area, big time QRN, and solar numbers got worse as
the weekend wore on.

Contest started out good on Friday, and 20m lasted late into the night.  40m
was reasoable.  Saturday day was ok, but by Saturday evening, conditions
worsened.  By about 0300z, only stns on the band were the loud ones that had
been worked, so went to bed to get some shuteye.  Got back on at 1000z as 20m
was coming alive.  Sunday day was ok, but the QRN was a problem even on 20.
QRM on 40 towards the end was terrible.

QSB seemed especially bad on all bands.  Some weak stns were ESP, and had a
trouble copying the serial nrs.  Seems like every time I woudl ask for a
repeat, and weak stn would send 599 but then fade out before sending the serial
nr.  This must have happened 100 times!  Ops would be well advised to just send
the serial nr when asked for a fill.

QTC's are fun...kinda like my traffic handling days.  Was frustrated by many
stns calling in for QTC's who had previously been sent them...resuled in a big
waste of time.

Bottom line: This is a wonderful contest, and participation was excellent.  My
Qsos ane QTCs were up from last year, but my Country mults were way down from
last year (partially due to no 80m).  As a result, my claimed score is down
some 200k from last year.

73, George, K5KG