[3830] KsQP N5DO Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, n5do@sbcglobal.net
Subject: [3830] KsQP N5DO Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2014 15:05:52 +0000
                    Kansas QSO Party

Call: N5DO
Operator(s): N5DO
Station: N5DO

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: TX
Operating Time (hrs): 17
Radios: SO2R

   80:    1
   40:   51     12
   20:  176     68
   15:   45      7
   10:    2
    6:
    2:
----------------------------
Total:  275     87      0  Mults = 99  Total Score = 99,001

Club: Central Texas DX and Contest Club

Comments:

I set a goal to try to work all 105 Kansas counties.  I knew that winning would
be next to impossible, since N6MU is hard to beat.  Not only is he a good
operator, but he knows everyone and they look for him in each new county. And
he does it all using low power to a multi-band vertical in the back yard.
Congrats also to NT2A for doing an outstanding job.

Much of Texas is usually too close to Kansas to do well in this contest, but my
QTH in the Big Bend area of southwest Texas often has good propagation to
Kansas.  In prior years I have found that there is often little propagation to
southwestern Kansas, but I was hoping for better this year.  There was good
propagation to the western part of the state until about the middle of the
afternoon.  On Saturday I worked K0A in Stevens County at 1848Z and he had a
good signal.  At 1930Z I worked him in Morton County (in the southwest corner
of the state and the next county over from Stevens) and he had a just above
ESP-level signal.  Then I didn't hear him again until the next day.

When the contest was over I missed 6 counties -- 5 in the western part of the
state (Seward, Grant, Stanton, Hamilton, and Wallace).  But I somehow missed
Rush County, right in the middle of the state.  Lack of propagation doesn't
give me a convenient excuse!

Bob, K0BH, did another outstanding job of organization for this year's contest.
 He and all the Kansas stations who operate have made it into one of the premier
state QSO parties! Thanks!