[3830] KsQP N0E(KR0L) Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, jgoerzen@complete.org
Subject: [3830] KsQP N0E(KR0L) Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2014 12:51:55 +0000
                    Kansas QSO Party

Call: N0E
Operator(s): KR0L
Station: N0E

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: MRN KS
Operating Time (hrs):

   80:
   40:          32
   20:         251     64
   15:                 28
   10:
    6:
    2:
----------------------------
Total:   0     283     92  Mults = 52  Total Score = 43,316

Club:

Comments:

After having not worked this contest last year due to scheduling, it was good to
be back this year as N0E.  My goal for this year was simply to hand out N0E to
anyone that needed it, so I spent the entire contest calling CQ and did not go
chasing mults.

I had a fun time as usual; busy life has prevented me from doing any other
contesting this year, so it was nice to be back able to do it this weekend.

I operate with only dipoles in treetops, and it seemed that the bands for me
weren't as busy as in prior years.  That could just be a function of the
dipoles being what they are.  20 was the main workhorse here; I got a little on
40 (never heard any PSK activity there, so didn't bother trying.)  And worked
some PSK on 15.  20 turned pretty dead for me the last hour or so on Sunday.

I seem to have worked more DX this year than previously; nearly 7% of my QSOs
were DX stations, mostly in Europe.

I worked a few with PSK63 this time - I saw some on my waterfall and figured
I'd give it a try, since it's so much faster.  It worked out well, for a bit --
8 stations right in a row, and then that was it.

Saturday I had some issues with my workstation; three times it hang, powered
off, and eventually powered itself back up on Saturday before I realized the
probablem was likely a power supply that chose that moment to require life
support.  So I opened up another PC in the house, stole its power supply, and
put it into the workstation temporarily to finish the contest.  Hopefully I
didn't lose anyone's log in the midst of all that.  Sunday I had a church
obligation that unexpectedly took longer than I planned, so I wasn't on the air
until nearly 12:30 (yipe!  will have to do better on this next year).  Still, a
fun time.

One of the fun things as it wound down Sunday was a few people wanting to chat
for a bit.  When things were quiet on my end, I'd visit a little bit with them
too.  Friendly people on there on this contest.

Again I worked digital from fldigi in Linux, and logged SSB using N1MM in a
Windows VM on the Linux workstation.  This all worked fine.  I eventually took
fldigi's logfile, ran it through this Linux shell script:

sed -e 's/<SRX_STRING:6>599 /<APP_N1MM_EXCHANGE1:2>/g' \
    -e 's/<SRX_STRING:7>599 /<APP_N1MM_EXCHANGE1:3>/g' \
    | unix2dos

and imported it into N1MM for final scoring.  Worked out perfectly.

73s
John
KR0L/N0E