[3830] NA Sprint CW WI9WI LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, jhfitzpa@wisc.edu
Subject: [3830] NA Sprint CW WI9WI LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 07 Sep 2014 04:32:50 +0000
                    NA Sprint CW Contest - September

Call: WI9WI
Operator(s): WI9WI
Station: WI9WI

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: Winter, WI
Operating Time (hrs): 4

   80:   57
   40:   87
   20:   86
---------------------

Club: Society of Midwest Contesters

Team: SMC Scarecrow

Comments:

I was intending a full time HP effort, but earlier in the day while I was trying
to work one of the W1AW stations on 12 meters, our third world power company up
here in the north woods treated us to a 5 second power outage followed by a
huge power surge. I have all my radios, computer and ancillary gear on surge
protectors and UPS. They were fine. But stupid me doesn't have a surge
protector on the 220 line for the amp. That took care of my HP aspirations. The
huge wind storm here a couple of days ago took down my 2 good 80 meter antennas,
leaving me with a low dipole that doesn't load well. Lightning also took out one
of my tribanders. The antenna is fine, but the switch at the tower needs
repair.

Actually the contest went fine until I got to 80. Lots of unanswered CQs, CQing
in my face, and lots of repeat requests on 80.

It's still fun.

Mults seemed scarce. Only heard 3 I didn't work.

73

Jim