[3830] NA Sprint CW K8MR QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com, jimk8mr@aol.com
Subject: [3830] NA Sprint CW K8MR QRP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 07 Sep 2014 22:30:16 +0000
                    NA Sprint CW Contest - September

Call: K8MR
Operator(s): K8MR
Station: K8MR

Class: Single Op QRP
QTH: Ohio
Operating Time (hrs): 3

   80:   31
   40:   75
   20:   57
---------------------

Club: Mad River Radio Club

Team: NCC/MRRC East

Comments:

I wasn't sure what I wanted to do for the sprint. After WRTC, organizing Ohio's
W1AW/8 operation, the OhQP, plus some vacation travel, I was pretty tired out
after getting back from our most recent NJ family visit on Friday evening. I
wasn't really up for getting the whole station back in SO2R shape, relearning
N1MM, and getting up at 5am Sunday to head to Ohio's other good hamfest 3 hours
away in Findlay, Ohio.

I decided that my KX3 batteries could use a discharge cycle, so picked QRP. I
figured if I flamed out early, it would be OK to quit, and I'd have less
adrenalin pumping when I did quit for the night.

That's what I did. 3 hours and out. I left a lot of 80 meters behind, but at
0300z the big stations were still in their mutual feeding frenzy, which makes
slow times for QRP.

After QRP activity in Florida and Punta Cana with improvised antennas, this was
one of my few QRP efforts with real antennas, and first in the Sprint. I did
somewhat better than I expected, though with lots of lost jump balls and
requests for fills. No 20 meter scatter QSOs in spite of hearing lots of the
big guys pretty well. The only mult heard but not worked was KL7SB.

Plans are to be back in Florida in February. See you then, as well as in lots
of other contests from Ohio before then.

73  -  Jim  K8MR