[3830] NA Sprint CW N8XX QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com, n8xx@arrl.org
Subject: [3830] NA Sprint CW N8XX QRP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 08 Sep 2014 01:28:22 +0000
                    NA Sprint CW Contest - September

Call: N8XX
Operator(s): N8XX
Station: N8XX

Class: Single Op QRP
QTH: MICHIGAN
Operating Time (hrs): 2.5

   80:  28
   40:  30
   20:   4
---------------------
Total:  62     Mults = 27  Total Score = 1,674

Club: Mad River Radio Club

Team: NCC/MRRC West

Comments:

Not one of my favorite contests - akin in pleasure to having a root canal done
without sedative, but this time conditions seemed fair to middlin'.

Some folks were taken aback with my choice of names.  I chose "NANCY"
in memory of Nancy Kott, WZ8C (SK), who was a prime mover in formation of the
North Anmerican QRP CW Club (NAQCC) and active in the FISTS club.  I even got a
couple "88" signoffs!  I reread the rules, and it says that a name
must be chose, but doesn't need to be one's own name.  I've used
"DUCK" in memory of Hank, K8DD, and several other names, some in
honor or memory of a ham, sometimes a name pulled out of the hat just for the
fish (halibut.)  That, even though a recent writeup in a NAQP or Sprint summary
points out that if one uses a different name, he/she might expect up to 5%
busted Q's because people become used to a particular name and/or use prefills
from a collected database.

Got a slightly late start due to another engagement, and 20 was a ZOO, so moved
to 40 and 80, only a few 20 M Q's.  Thanks to a couple ops who said that 40
might be a better place to start because of all the  gallon+ stations who start
out on 20 meters.

I did find that I ran out of stations to work - even those who were calling CQ
with nary a response.  And, even though my signal was being heard by the RBN
(found out post-game) on 40 and 80, it was rare that someone answered my
repeated CQ's.

All in all, not a bad way to occupy part of a 4 hour time period.