[3830] 144FallSprnt WW7D/R Rover LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, djholman@u.washington.edu
Subject: [3830] 144FallSprnt WW7D/R Rover LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2014 02:44:42 +0000
                    144 MHz Fall Sprint

Call: WW7D/R
Operator(s): WW7D
Station: WW7D/R

Class: Rover LP
QTH: CN97
Operating Time (hrs): 4

Total:  QSOs = 59  Mults = 15  Tot Dist(km) = 0  Total Score = 885

Club: Pacific Northwest VHF Society

Comments:

There was a pretty good showing in the Pacific Northwest, with good conditions
until some storms in Oregon started creating havoc late into the Sprint.

I started out in CN97 at about 1,200' (Mud Mountain) and managed to work
stations from the Portland, OR area up to Canada.   Then I drove through CN87
up to the grid border of CN86 and CN96 at 3,000' and 3,100' respectively.
Portland area stations were quite strong from there.

Best DX was KB7W some 340 miles away, and on the other side of the Cascade
Mountains in CN93.  Also notable was twice working VE7DAY in CO70 (Vancouver
Island) some 260 miles away through a couple of smaller mountain ranges.

A handful of FM simplex stations answered my CQs to join the fun.
Additionally, Eric, N7EPD, previously told us he would be leaving work with
about 20 minutes remaining in the Sprint, and would mobile on 146.58 MHz FM.
Several of us waited to the end for him.

By the time he was in range, I worked him from CN96 with 8 minutes left, and
over the border into CN86 with 7 minutes left.  Then I raced down a somewhat
treacherous gravel road for the CN87 border--normally a 15 minute trip because
of potholes and washboarding.   I reached the CN87 border with under one 1
minute to go and worked N7EPD, N7EHP and W7GLF, leaving only 15 seconds to
spare  It was a thrilling end to an already enjoyable Sprint.

GRID    QSOs    #       Grids
CN86    19      5       CN85, CN87 CN88, CN97, CO70
CN87    9       2       CN87, CN88
CN96    18      5       CN85, CN87, CN93, CN97, CO70
CN97    13      3       CN85, CN87, CN88