[3830] CQ WW RTTY W4PK SOAB(A) HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, w4pk@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] CQ WW RTTY W4PK SOAB(A) HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2014 01:44:24 +0000
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, RTTY

Call: W4PK
Operator(s): W4PK
Station: W4PK

Class: SOAB(A) HP
QTH: VA
Operating Time (hrs): 14.0
Radios: SO2R

   80:   91       28      18     7
   40:  112       26      41    17
   20:  158       25      66    23
   15:  344       23      80    23
   10:  132       14      52    19
------------------------------------
Total:  837      116     257    90  Total Score = 956,558

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

Murphy paid me a visit big time this year, several times.

I had just renovated my "office" with a new floor, painted my walls,
and most importantly I had constructed new furniture for my equipment.  This of
course involved removing all my cables and reconnecting them behind the new
furniture, and this took a lot more time than I had thought it would.  I did
not get this completed until after a couple of hours after the contest had
started.

The first instance was that I suddenly had no FSK and PTT on my primary radio.
They were fine for my secondary radio.   To make a long story short; after much
trouble-shooting I finally determined that I had 3 out of 8 ports on my Edgeport
USB-to-RS232 converter that would not even pass a loop-back test with an analog
loopback plug. I finally found ports that would work, two for the FSK/PTT
functions for my radios and the other three for controlling my rotators.  I
have no spare ports anymore.

The second instance was about noon on Saturday my PW-1 suddenly started pinning
my SWR meter and I had no power output.  I have the PW-1 in the basement
underneath my office and I started smelling really strong "hot' orders of
the electrical type.  I was using the PW-1 on 10M with its tuner enabled since
my SWR was about 1.7:1 on this band.  I was running it with about 900W showing
on the meter, and I was sure that I had fried something in the PW-1.  But
luckily it turned out to be my Elecraft directional coupler instead.  This
coupler is rated for 2 KW up to 54 MHz but obviously it did not like a 1.7:1
VSWR load. The internal board and its components are charred beyond
recognition.

The third instance is that that I had two of these ICE model 303 lightning
surge protectors fail on Saturday afternoon, with both having a definite burnt
smell.  This was on 15 Meters at the time and they were both in line (one at
the house and the other at my tower base) with my 3-element SteppIR.  These
suppressors supposingly are rated at 8 KW PEP up to 200 MHz, but I have had
others fail in the past.  I have bypassed them for now but I will need to
replace them with something different (probably Polyphasor) before the next
lightning season.

The upshot of all this is that I was only able to operate for 14 hours this
year.

I did a lot more S&Ping this year than I normally do, but I did have some
good runs with both radios.  Once I was running on both 10 and 15 Meters when
an operator at NR4M (was it you, Steve?) was trying to communicate with me!
The problem I had was that I had three guys calling me at the same time on 15M
and I became totally confused!  Sorry!

One final comment is that the skimmer spots worked better than ever this year.
I had my spot timeout set for 5 minutes but even at that I was overwhelmed by
the sheer number.  But I did find some nice multipliers!

Until next year!

73, Sam W4PK