[3830] CQ WW RTTY K1LT SOAB(A) HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, vkean@k1lt.com, mrrc@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] CQ WW RTTY K1LT SOAB(A) HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2014 04:45:52 +0000
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, RTTY

Call: K1LT
Operator(s): K1LT
Station: K1LT

Class: SOAB(A) HP
QTH: Ohio EM89ps
Operating Time (hrs): 10

   80:   85      31       12     7
   40:   98      27       24    13
   20:  108      17       34    15
   15:  100      15       41    18
   10:  120       9       33    12
------------------------------------
Total:  511      99      144    65  Total Score = 360,889

Club: Mad River Radio Club

Comments:

Got on to try out my new full-sized 80 meter vertical made out of an
old HyTower and lots of excessively skinny aluminum tubing.  The
overall vertical is 75 feet tall and the top is always bent over
somewhat, like an upside down "J", except that the "hook"
doesn't get
as far as parallel to the ground.  The 2:1 or better SWR goes from 3.4
to 3.8 MHz.  I put 42 65-foot radials under it.  (The plan was for 40
radials, but I miscounted and wound up with 41.  So I added one more
for good measure.)  Some day I'll increase the count to 80 radials.

I didn't work all that much DX on 80 meters.  Best DX was Europe to
the east and Hawaii to the west.  My gut feeling is that this antenna
is probably better than the cage wires around the 160 meter vertical
but definitely much easier to use, since the SWR curve doesn't look
like a sawtooth.

The fact that there were ZA and HB0 operations encouraged me to
operate on the other bands where I don't have those countries
confirmed.

Sunday morning I somehow sprained by back which made me want to sit
more than I had planned, so I operated more than I had planned.

The surprise multiplier would have been YB Sunday morning on 15 meters
except that I worked YB Friday night.

Equipment: K3, P3, Alpha 8410, verticals and tribander.