[3830] TxQP KS5A/M SO CW Mobile LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, ks5a@cox.net
Subject: [3830] TxQP KS5A/M SO CW Mobile LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2014 12:01:19 +0000
                    Texas QSO Party

Call: KS5A/M
Operator(s): KS5A
Station: KS5A

Class: SO CW Mobile LP
QTH: TX
Operating Time (hrs): 6

  160:
   80:
   40:   91
   20:  270
   15:
   10:
    6:
    2:
  UHF:
----------------------------
Total:  361     0       0  Mults = 86  Total Score = 107,880

Club: Arizona Outlaws Contest Club

Comments:

7 counties

I have been doing some work in Texas and decided to take a break for some
mobile fun and run counties for the entire two-day contest.  Building a route
the day before the start, I knew I was taking a chance being solo with only two
band antennas, one radio, one laptop and one paddle.  What the heck, it has been
years since any equipment has failed me �" not that I could do anything
about it while 1K miles from home.

Propositioning started a couple of hours before the party’s opening bell - in
the rain.  Did I mention rain, rain, or more rain?  It was constant rain with
spurts of heavy downpours in south Texas, and it lasted for 10 of the 12 hours
I was out the first day.  That shot the idea of saving time by running county
lines as I did not want to sit on the side of the road in those conditions.
Water was on the roads, deep enough to pull the truck to the side when driving
into the flooded parts.  One oil field worker rolled his company truck and
closed the 2-lane for about an hour.

Band conditions were definitely better than weather conditions.  I copied most
of the country with a few EUs getting through.  Pileups were manageable and
normal �" sometimes slow but gang busters when one was spotted.   Decorum
was really pretty good.

Reaching Starr County, weather had been the only negative.  I was setup and
ready to go when the rig performed a no-notice, smoke test �" and failed!
 The receiver was fine but nada on transmit.  The “aah crap”,
fried-electronics smell left no doubt �" I’m done, and from the most
distant point on the route back to the QTH.

Oh well, no reason not to stop for chow now, before the long trek back �"
in the rain!

I know several of you were close to picking up a few bonus points with me
�" Sorry about that.  Thanks for all the Q’s and especially your
patience as I worked through the pileups.  Also, thanks to all the sponsors for
another great party.