[3830] SS CW K6YT(W0YK) Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, ed@w0yk.com
Subject: [3830] SS CW K6YT(W0YK) Single Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 03 Nov 2014 05:22:20 +0000
                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, CW

Call: K6YT
Operator(s): W0YK
Station: W0YK

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: cm97bc
Operating Time (hrs): 19:13
Radios: SO2R

------------
  160:
   80:   59
   40:  201
   20:  118
   15:  315
   10:  210
------------

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Comments:

Conditions on all bands 80-10 were some of the best I've experienced from this
QTH.  Activity, though, seemed to decrease again.  Thanks to everyone who got
on, even if for just a few QSOs.  There wouldn't be a contest without the folks
who participate.

I've been remiss in repairing my 20m and 40m Yagis, so I hung some Inverted-V
wires on those bands so at least I'd be QRV.  I've also had three amps fail
this year, so I used a 500-watt amp this weekend.  Finally, I followed some
old-time contester's advice to "think loud".  These things plus the
excellent conditions made for a fun weekend.  Maybe high power and Yagis aren't
really necessary.   ;>)

It's interesting to muse about which mults are "difficult" each year.
 It's even more interesting to muse about why everyone seems to have
"different difficult" mults".  I work five stations in the
section you missed and vice versa.  This year, at least two stations in every
section called me ... except for two: KP2 and KP4.  I had to find them by
tuning the second radio.  NP3R was found multiple times Sunday morning, on
different bands.  But alternating between 10 and 15, running on one band and
tuning the other band, for six hours Sunday yielded no KP2.  I had to quit for
work at 20z Sunday, so in my last half-hour, in desperation, I tuned 20m while
running on 10.  Luckily found KP2RUM, but it was a photo finish.

Then, I read reports that NT was elusive, or NL or <pick your missing
mult>, and wonder how we all could be in the same contest!  Of course QTH
across the continent matters, but even among locals, this same discussion shows
a wide variance in what was "rare".

Even more mysterious are the un-assisted stations who nearly work a sweep in
only 6 hours.  All these incongruities insure that contesting is not a sure
thing and makes it intriguing to see how each one works out.  It's a new
adventure each weekend.

Thanks again to everyone in my log.  I had a great time with your help.

Ed W0YK