[3830] SS CW K3TN Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] SS CW K3TN Single Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 03 Nov 2014 10:48:50 +0000
                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, CW

Call: K3TN
Operator(s): K3TN
Station: K3TN

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: MDC
Operating Time (hrs): 14

------------
  160:
   80:   72
   40:  287
   20:  213
   15:  101
   10:   32
------------

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

The original plan was that I would remotely operate VY1EI and help Eric bring
the NT mult to the masses. However, the Internet connection at Eric's remote
station was down for months and just got back up on Thursday before SS, with a
new IP address. I spent all day Saturday getting my K3 wired in Twin mode with
the RemoteRig, and configuring N1MM and the Remote Rigs together - only to have
everything stop working 1 hour before the start. Called Eric and we found the IP
address had changed again, reconfigured everything for that just about at
starting time - and now the connectivity was spotty - frequent drop outs that
made it totally unusable for CW, especially with the complex SS Exchange.

So, I got the K3 back in standalone mode and then had to backtrack on a bunch
of N1MM settings, too - I lost most of the first hour. From there on out it was
pretty much a standard CW SS effort, except periodically I would recable the K3
to try VY1EI again, but no luck.

Since I spent all afternoon trying to get the remote stuff working, never did
my usual prep so didn't last until my usual 0500 stop time, so missed a lot of
80M East Coast quality time. Made up for some of it by spending more time
operating on Sunday than I normally would, and the sections came pretty easily
- other than NT, of course! NE and SC were probably my rarest - the NCCCers
were out in force, so most of the 6-land sections were easy.

Used N1MM+, it worked flawlessly - except in the section mult window it left up
ON and I kept chasing VE3s until I figured out that it was a ghost multiplier.

Fun sending 666B to someone, who replied "You devil"

Lots of short skip on 10/15/20, good for the East Coast.