[3830] SS CW W6YX(N7MH) SO Unlimited HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] SS CW W6YX(N7MH) SO Unlimited HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 03 Nov 2014 17:52:20 +0000
                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, CW

Call: W6YX
Operator(s): N7MH
Station: W6YX

Class: SO Unlimited HP
QTH: Stanford
Operating Time (hrs): 24

------------
  160:
   80:   60
   40:  420
   20:  168
   15:  161
   10:  327
------------

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Comments:

Clayton/NF1R gave me a "maybe" on his participation since his wedding
last year was on SS CW weekend and he thought he might get back from his
anniversary weekend excursion in time to make a few Qs.  So I signed
"S" class but ended up just being Unlimited since NF1R was a
no-show.

We had a lot of activity at the station this weekend.  4 separate SS CW
operations - W6LD, K6SF, K6SU(K2YY) and W6YX(N7MH).  All 4 of us were operating
on Saturday evening.

In addition our EME contesters were assembling a new 2-meter array that was
being mounted on the same pole that held a C31XR, inverted vees for 80 and 40
and a 5-element 10M Yagi.  The EME array extends up to where the 10M Yagi was
mounted so the 10M Yagi was removed.

We could run 2 stations on 20 and 40 meters with little interference between
the two but had S9 noise on 10 and 15 when we tried to do this.  We've never
been able to run two high power stations on 15 successfully without interfering
with each other but usually we can on 10.  Hopefully we can resolve that before
the SSB weekend.

I had hoped to operate SO2R but the USB/Serial adapters that we had no longer
worked with the second FT1000MP.  None of the local stores sell adapters that
are labeled as FTDI so I bought an unlabelled one and it didn't work either.
I'll have to buy one online before the SSB weekend since SO2R probably would
have added 100 or more Qs to the total.

I was tuning across 15M late on Sunday when I heard VE8EV calling KH6RR.  I
tried calling up a few kHz but no luck.  So then I pointed the main 15M Yagi
toward VE8 and called CQ and had VE8EV come back in less than a minute.  K6SF
then switched to 15 and called CQ another couple of kHz up and also was
rewarded with the sweep.  I had tried calling VE8EV on both 15 and on 10 in the
morning but couldn't break the pileups so this was a great relief.

73,
-Mike, N7MH