[3830] SS CW N8TR(K8MR) Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k8mr@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] SS CW N8TR(K8MR) Single Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 04 Nov 2014 02:15:35 +0000
                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, CW

Call: N8TR
Operator(s): K8MR
Station: N8TR

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: Ohio
Operating Time (hrs): 6
Radios: SO2R

------------
  160:
   80:   16
   40:  239
   20:   68
   15:   31
   10:   26
------------

Club: Mad River Radio Club

Comments:

This was, as usual, the first stop on my annual CW SS Single Operator, Multi
Station tour. This year's tour was shortened to three stations, as K8NZ was
putting on a full time effort at K8AZ, plus after spending the previous week
with the West Virginia W1AW/8 operation, decided that SS would be rather a
letdown after dealing with 3 KHz wide swarms of JA's calling in.

Pete's station worked well, other than several 12V ERR faults on the 40 meter
K3. Not sure what caused them, but turning the radio off and back on cleared
it.

This year I spared Pete the effort of swapping out computers to get an old one
that would run NA. I had a few frustrating moments with WinTest - at one point
I managed to get the computer to completely swallow a just completed QSO, only
to have it pop back up 50 QSOs later. A bit of post contest text editing got
that fixed enough that the other guy should not get dinged. It was also a
slight challenge using a keyboard with a layout that differed where the INS and
DEL keys were vs. the traditional keyboard. And why can not WinTest (or N1MM)
increment a serial number as soon as the previous QSO is entered? Such a pain
to not be able to send a call picked out of a pile with the paddle and then
punch F2 and get the proper number. Only one or two guys will get dinged for
copying the number WinTest sent, instead of the right number.

Generally good conditions. Missed SF, WV, UT, NE, ND, ONN, NT, PR, VI. VE4 wins
the award for exceeding activity expectation. MDC wins the award for never
realizing how many guys in a section can get on for CW SS.

73  -  Jim K8MR