[3830] SS CW K0HC(W0BH) School Club HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] SS CW K0HC(W0BH) School Club HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 04 Nov 2014 05:38:32 +0000
                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, CW

Call: K0HC
Operator(s): W0BH
Station: K0HC

Class: School Club HP
QTH: KS
Operating Time (hrs): 23.6
Radios: SO2R

------------
  160:
   80:  250
   40:  185
   20:  256
   15:  286
   10:  115
------------

Club: Hesston College ARC

Comments:

Last Sweeps, we were recovering from a lightning strike with no rig control, so
everything was switched by hand. This year, the station was back in fine shape
(I thought). It's always good to play in the Sweeps practice the night before
to rattle things a bit. When I tried out the second rig (which had been working
perfectly), it reset every time I keyed up. After antenna checking turned up no
problems, I swapped out the power supply and we were good to go.

Saturday was great with close to 100 rates the first two hours. 10m was open to
the coasts, so I played there for awhile just for the novelty of it, but reality
soon returned. In the evening, I had a tough time getting going on 40, but 80
was great and open short and long. And then of course there's Sunday. I keep
hoping it will be different but it never is.

It's always fun to work fellow School stations (in order worked): K4KDJ, W6YX,
W8EDU, W6RFU, K5LSU, W4UAL and W8SH. We've got a team of six students
practicing hard this year, and they're looking forward to working you all in
two weeks.

My last five sections were SD, WY, KS, VI, and NT. I heard VE8EV on 15 on the
second radio with a big pileup, but I got a "surge" of 3 Qs in a row
on the primary radio, so I worked them first only to find an empty band a few
minutes later. From previous years, I knew that VE8EV and VY1EI both liked to
S&P. The Kansas wind was blowing leaves around 40 mph the whole weekend so
I didn't want to turn the beam, but I got it aimed northwest and started CQing.
About 10 minutes later at 1926Z, a very weak VY1EI made my day. Thanks for
another one, Eric!

That was the biggest excitement on Sunday. My attempt at a Sunday Sweep failed
as I missed nine sections (although I heard but didn't want to dupe two of
them). It was great fun playing radios with you all this weekend. We'll do this
one again next year!

73, Bob, w0bh
trustee, k0hc
Hesston College ARC