[3830] SS CW W1SJ SO Unlimited HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, w1sj@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] SS CW W1SJ SO Unlimited HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 04 Nov 2014 08:20:25 +0000
                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, CW

Call: W1SJ
Operator(s): W1SJ
Station: W1SJ

Class: SO Unlimited HP
QTH: VT
Operating Time (hrs): 24

------------
  160:
   80:  298
   40:  139
   20:  431
   15:  131
   10:   11
------------

Club: Radio Amateurs of Northern Vermont

Comments:

This was a shakedown cruise for a new K3 I just put on line.
Things were going quite well when all of a sudden at 0130, RF got into
something and whacked the keying circuit, killing the serial port on the
computer and switching circuit on the keyer. I managed to cob together an old
laptop and keying interface to get back on the air after a loss of an hour in
prime time. I made up the time at the end, but traded a 60-Q rate for a 30-Q
rate - not a great strategy.

The Cluster was pretty useless. With all the infighting going on over the FT4TA
DXpedition, there was little bandwidth left for SS spots. NT was a wipeout. The
two stations there did S&P on 15m, which was not my strong band, and they
didn't call me. Sweeps were few and far between this time, so nothing much to
complain about.

Sunday sucked big time. I couldn't pay people to make contacts with me. Similar
problem is seen each year on CW at Field Day. This contest needs a major
overhaul due to this and it is not one of my favorites. But I persevered and
wasn't too bloody by contest end.